Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you have anything bad to say about VS Series 2 Executive?

V

VS Seires 2

Well my radiator isnt bubbling anymore. And it isnt running hot or anything

but.

Up near the top left hand corner in the Coolant? Box? is bubbling and is making a bad smell when it is idleing.

What could this be? I had my radiator flushed aswell.

And another question. With exhaust tips....Do they just clip on or do they have to be welded on?

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
VS Seires 2 said:
And another question. With exhaust tips....Do they just clip on or do they have to be welded on?

You can get ones that slide over the end of the exhaust and you tighten the bolt but they are ugly, **** and easy to steal/pull off.

Id recommend you get it welded on...

Attached is a picture of mine.. welded on.

Attachments

• exhaust 003.jpg
    exhaust 003.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 201

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Strange!

This bubbling from the top LH corner of the colant box is confusing.

What is the level of coolant in the box when cold and when hot?

The only ventilation with the coolant box should be from the cap, with one venting down into the wheel well for overflows, and the other connected to the radiator.

If there is a leak, a replacement coolant box would fix that. But it sounds as though it may also be overfilled.

Hot coolant has an unpleasant smell, so that would be the smell most likely.

V

VS Seires 2

Infus10n said:
You can get ones that slide over the end of the exhaust and you tighten the bolt but they are ugly, **** and easy to steal/pull off.

Id recommend you get it welded on...

Attached is a picture of mine.. welded on.
Do they change the sound at all?

V

VS Seires 2

Fekason said:
This bubbling from the top LH corner of the colant box is confusing.

What is the level of coolant in the box when cold and when hot?

The only ventilation with the coolant box should be from the cap, with one venting down into the wheel well for overflows, and the other connected to the radiator.

If there is a leak, a replacement coolant box would fix that. But it sounds as though it may also be overfilled.

Hot coolant has an unpleasant smell, so that would be the smell most likely.
Thanks heaps for all your help. I'll keep you posted as to what I do.

Cheers :drink:

Actuallly, come to think of it.....when I first got my car I filled up the coolant box to the top with plain water. I havn't actually checked the water levels at all. So I might just check it out and see what the level is.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
VS Seires 2 said:
Do they change the sound at all?

exhaust tips have no effect on the sound.. mufflers have an effect.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Please take this advice....

Never open a radiator cap on a motor thats been running without first...SQUEEZING the top radiator hose to see if any pressure is in the system. If you cant squeeze the hose in then let it cool down until you can....That will save you from any 3rd degree burns and a trip to the hospital.

A guy used to live in our street who burnt his face off from an erupting radiator because of pressure build up when he opened the cap...now he carrys his scar's for life.

Question: Did you check the fluid levels and condition before you picked the car up ?

The rest I have to say is along the lines of what Fekason said...

Cause if the coolant level was driven around on low for sometime air pockets in the heads may have caused them to crack. (costly fix)

Dirty brown River Murray water is a bad sign the car hasn't been looked after.

What condition / level is the engine oil at ?

Drain it and change it....If it looks like mayonaise....your in serious trouble...engine rebuild nessary as you coolant has leaked into you bottom end through a leaking head gasket or cracked head.

This may explain the burning metal smell...as that would cause engine bearings to overheat and fail.

Signs of a leaking head gasket or cracked head are...

1. excessive water coming out of your exhaust
2. excessive water loss and running hot
3. Water in oil (mayonaise) and visa versa

To check just run your car on the spot without the cap on the radiator warm it up thoroughly until the thermostat opens and water starts circulating through your radiator...if you cant see your coolant top it up until it reaches the neck of the radiator.....if you see constant bubbles in your coolant your in trouble.

regards,

sixshooter ;)

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
hello sixshooter just wonderin how do u find your vs runs on lpg is it worth doing ???? cheers muzza

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
muzza said:
hello sixshooter just wonderin how do u find your vs runs on lpg is it worth doing ???? cheers muzza

:my: Dunno who told you that I own a VS... I'm currently in the market looking for one. :b:

I havent test driven or owned any Vs V6 on gas as yet so I can't really give you a straight answer either :b:

I think someone else answered a similar question along the lines of adding lpg to their v6 somewhere in the forum...

Basically it is only really worth doing if you intend to keep the car for a worth while period to recoup the cost of having it fitted through your saved fuel bills. However long that takes....

regards,

sixshooter :wave:

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
VS Seires 2 said:
Actuallly, come to think of it.....when I first got my car I filled up the coolant box to the top with plain water.

Ummmm......hope you DIDN'T fill it all the way to the TOP of the plastic filler box - they don't like that much. There's a MAX mark on the front of it about half way up. If you did fill it all the way up and noticed the bubbles after this, chances are with the fluid pressure increasing in the tank as the engine gets warm and the fluid level rises, it's ruptured or split the tank.

As other fellaz have said, plain water doesn't do the old girl any good either. The correct mixture of coolant and water is an absolute must if you want your cooling system to last as long as it can. Plain water recommended in emergencies only as it's better than nothing.

Hey - we were all there once. You never forget your first car and it's usually the one that teaches you the most about how to look after one. Stick with it buddy - you'll get there in the end! My first car was a Mark 1 Grotina GT and I killed it. Several times over. Best thing to do with one of them anyway and I have no regrets about doing it now, but it was annoying at the time as I still needed it to get around!