Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you have to reset the computer after replacing the front wheel bearings?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I live on a dirt road that has potholes you could swim laps in and while it's good fun to try and get a bigger splash than yesterday when driving through them, sadly, it's kinda detrimental to your wheel bearings. (Disclaimer: the rather shitty condition of the bearings may have also been influenced by an unfortunate incident a year ago... somethingsomething sign post somethingsomething 80km/h somethingsomething drove right into/over it... mistakes were made... I'm choosing to play up the role of the potholes because that absolves me of most of the responsibility. And if any of you tell my husband about the bigger-splash-than-yesterday competition... anyway, back to my question...) Upon discovering I had chewed out the inner side of both front tyres, it was decided that replacing the wheel bearings would be in order. At this declaration I proceeded to put the good people down at the ebay IT department to the test (they passed) and searched me up a shiny new set of hubs. So today I picked said hubs up and the guy casually mentions that I "will need to get the car reset or the ABS light will keep coming on". It didn't sound like the kind of statement an ignorant twat would make, in fact, it has a reasonable level of plausibility about it, but I have yet to find relevant evidence or advice. So can someone with appropriate knowledge please confirm or refute this claim? If it's correct, can it be avoided by the timely disconnection of the battery before commencing the job? And is it something that can be reset at home or will it involve an $80 trip to the local arrogant arsehole mechanic?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
That took me a good 10 mins to read, please punctuate.

You can try a disconnect of the battery overnight but likely you will need the codes cleared as they will be stored in the computer.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Normally if you have a MIL or Airbag indicator on the dash, yes it will need to be reset,
Where disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes may extinguish it,
however, it may still be in the BCM in the history.
PS: Not all mechanics are [what you said] and can be fair if you approach them nicely.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I must be missing something here. Why would changing a set of front wheel bearing hubs cause the ABS light to come on necessitating a system reset?
I've changed front rotors on my VZ without affecting the ABS sensors and from memory replacement of the wheel bearing hubs does not require removal of the ABS sensors either.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It's a bit hard to know what is going on here.
Did you buy non ABS hub assemblies?

Madz15

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive VL Executive
If disconnecting the battery doesn't work. Try pulling out the fuse for a minimum 10 seconds. It's in the fuse box under the bonnet, it should only be a 10 amp fuse for the ECU

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
we also disconnected the battery to replaced the drivers side noisy hub/bearing nearly 3 years ago now on the vz with no problems

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The wheel bearings are built into the hub & so are the abs sensors.
If you have abs, you buy hubs with abs sensors.
If you dont have abs, you buy hubs without the abs sensors.

I'll second the abs dont require a reset.

Doesn't matter which hub you buy (abs or non abs), the wheel bearings are built into the hub

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
The wheel bearings are built into the hub & so are the abs sensors.
If you have abs, you buy hubs with abs sensors.
If you dont have abs, you buy hubs without the abs sensors.

I'll second the abs dont require a reset.

Doesn't matter which hub you buy (abs or non abs), the wheel bearings are built into the hub

Thanks for your wisdom Lex, I was under the impression the ABS sensors were fitted to the brake rotor shield.
Yep hubs & wheel bearings are a sealed assy.