Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does not want to start cold

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
So my commodore recently started not starting cold. When starting it sounds like it is getting spark, and the starter is going but its not turning over, until I press on the accelerator pedal a few times while starting it. After I start it and it runs for 5+ mins it will start warm but not cold.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
How long since it had a good service?
Sounds like intake needs a good clean first up. Been a common theme lately!

vraho10

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT 6cyl 3.8L
How long since it had a good service?
Sounds like intake needs a good clean first up. Been a common theme lately!
It's been about 3 months or so I did the last one but what in take are you talking about.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Air intake around the throttle body is where I would start checking all the little air passages are clear and clean.
Could be other things like spark plugs, leads, injectors etc but start by checking and cleaning everything before you go shopping.

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
I had a similar issue two years ago. Car had done about 300,000 at the time. The advice I got right on this forum solved my problem.

Turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator. Overnight the fuel would drain back to the tank and combine that with low temperatures and contracting fuel and you have low fuel rail pressure.

Until I replaced the fuel rail I just followed the advice I got here. Turn the key to on without cranking repeatedly until the fuel pump cuts out. I sometines had to turn the car to on and back off 30 times when the temp got near zero but eventually it would start. Costs nothing to diagnose so no harm done if it's not the issue. If you're able to start it by doing this, replace the fuel pressure regulator.

Last edited: