Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does this look like a front oil seal oil leak?

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I think my crank angle sensor is failing so I'm taking my ute to the mechanic to replace it or to hook up an ALDL scanner to test it and while I was looking at the harmonic balancer I saw oil mostly covering the oil sump below the harmonic balancer, does the picture below look like a front oil seal leaking (behind the harmonic balancer) the rest of the motor has no leaks or oil on it since when the motor was reconditioned
20230414_122606.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd say so. Best to replace it as they are under $20 for the seal. Also if you're stalling then it could also be the DFI. Unfortunately a scan will rarely identify which one is the problem. Try pouring cold water down the passenger side of the balancer if it stalls and see if you get going again.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I'd say so. Best to replace it as they are under $20 for the seal. Also if you're stalling then it could also be the DFI. Unfortunately a scan will rarely identify which one is the problem. Try pouring cold water down the passenger side of the balancer if it stalls and see if you get going again.
I think it's the sensor without pouring water on it because she wouldn't start after a long drive, the racv guy said it's common for a failing sensor when they're hot so I parked the ute for 45 minutes and she started again, and she stalled once while driving

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I think it's the sensor without pouring water on it because she wouldn't start after a long drive, the racv guy said it's common for a failing sensor when they're hot so I parked the ute for 45 minutes and she started again, and she stalled once while driving
DFI does the same thing. Best to pour water on the CAS when it stalls to determine if DFI or CAS.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I was looking at your pic? Wondering if the oil filter is leaking from underneath? May need a mirror to determine, if that is the source of the leak?
The adapter between filter and block can leak onto edge of sump, but vehicle would have to be parked on a slope for it to spread across.