Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DONT use cruise control in the wet

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Ok I understand your view and that makes sense. I read all the posts from my viewpoint.
I was looking at it as a full on loss of control due to severe aquaplaning which in fact doesn't occur often, thankfully, as most people slow down in wet weather. Trying to make sense of the crash story.
I still think cruise is a bad idea in wet weather though as it can catch people unaware, more so if they are driving like an idiot.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
1 question can cars with a manual have cruise control

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
Yes

(ooga booga)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
The original story sounds like someone that doesn't quite understand driving a car had a scare, then decided to tell everyone about it, then everyone told everyone else :)

as for the dangers of cruise control in the wet....

If you get into a hairy situation for whatever reason, whether it be proper aquaplaining (with no traction on any wheel), or a gear-drop (auto) induced skid while going up a slippery hill with cruise on.......

wouldn't you like to have as much control over the situation as possible?
which involves complete throttle control, brake control, steering control, gear selection - to correct the situation as you best see fit?

if you take away your steering control, and let someone else steer that can't see, you've got very little chance of controlling a car...

take away your throttle control and let a computer that can't see drive... same result :)

cruise control + car not doing what it's expected = bad news...

as for hitting the brake when you loose the rear, generally a bad idea if you haven't passed the point at which you can still recover the rear - once past this point, however the brake used correctly can come in very very handy.

SMURFTEC.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS S Commodore
17029-Lime-Green-Man-Using-A-Shovel-To-Dig-A-Hole-For-A-Plant-In-A-Garden-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Urban Legend For Sure. Traction Control ?

Dont u think this threads abit old?

Anyway, Traction Control doesnt stop u from spinning out while ur using cruise control! Only when u Accelerate!

skyracer

Reaction score
Rosebud / Mornington Peninsula / Victoria
Members Ride
VS II Berlina & BMW E30 318 iS & VS II Manual GTS
Anyway, Traction Control doesnt stop u from spinning out while ur using cruise control! Only when u Accelerate!

So in theory if you started spinning out, you could plant your foot and regain traction because of traction control?

But in all seriousness I use cruise control all the time while driving to work in the wet. It allows me to fly like an plane over traffic thus actually getting to work on time. :)

peckzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr series 2 v6
no the only way traction control works is cutting the spark from your motor making it die making it so you cant spin the wheels and cannot accelerate at full throttle, so no this theory would not work