Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doof Doof - dumb or deaf?

Zarconia

Outrageous Fondler
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 R8 Maloo
Lol ive got an audio system more than capable of extreme volume but it hardly ever gets that loud. Only if some bastard wants a sound battle.:rofl2:

But really its usually low or even turned off, highway driving it gets louder but with good reason of course.

If you drive around 24/7 with music that damn loud i would have to say some things not quite right in the brain

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Dunno if its been mentioned yet but bass at any volume level CAN NOT damage your hearing , least for something thats still drivable on the street anyway.
I have sat in cars I build up to levels of 160db on the old meters (154 on todays) and my hearing is 100%.
The damage from loud music comes from anything above around 1000hz range , the faster sound waves smash your ear drums.

It would take ALOT of speakers in a car to cause any damage , usually the damge comes from prolonged use of jack hammers , drilling machines and rock concerts with distorted music etc.

Before anyone questions my comments I have 15 years experience with car audio , Im well qualified :)
Im 1 of the gumbies responsible for building the cars that annoy the hell out of the older folk.

Well qualified? So someone with 15 years work in car lighting knows more about human sight than an optometrist? Suggest you research the literature out there, audiologists tell us excessive bass can damage hearing, burst eardrums etc. I think you are confusing your message that only sounds over 1000Hz can cause damage with the fact that typically hearing loss is experienced in the high frequencies first, completely different to loud bass noises causing damage to us.

Only the faster waves damage ears? lack of knowledge or just a slip up? changing the rate of vibration doesnt change the speed of the wave.

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
That was meant to be 100Hz , my bad.

Where did I state I know more than an audiologist ? whats that got to do with it , its my own opinion with first hand experience.

Theres people all over the world that sit in cars well over 170db and there not deaf , prolonged exposure will yes but how long before it happens is alot more likely at higher frequencies than anything below 100hz if at all.
Higher frequency = faster waves , not sure on the correct terminology sorry Im only a fitter , not real bright. Slip up/lack of knowledge call it what you want I know what I mean :p

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Dunno if its been mentioned yet but bass at any volume level CAN NOT damage your hearing ,

Tell that to my ears. As a teenager I stupidly sat in and right next too (depending on the set up) bass speakers at discos (yes I am old). I loved the feel of the vibration of the bass through my body and the thud of the bass. One particular DJ used to have these giant speaker boxes where you could literally sit inside and I used to spend most of my time doing so at his venues.

My hearing was affected by this. I have trouble hearing people talking to me if there is back ground noise. For instance I can't have music playing when I am on the phone, or sitting in a bar with a piano player or acoustic guitarist. In these situations where the back ground noise is not overly loud I struggle to hear foreground conversation. I had my hearing tested some time ago and it was confirmed the hearing loss would have been caused by me abusing my ears sitting in and next to bass speakers.

ssv 08 ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss-v 2008 ute
Sorry but your incorrect on this 1......you may believe your hearing is 100% but i can assure you if you have been listening to loud music (irrespective of how much base) for any decent length of time then you will have hearing loss.

The sort of damage we are talking about hear occurs gradually.
I suggest you consult a otolaryngologist to check your hearing !!

Dunno if its been mentioned yet but bass at any volume level CAN NOT damage your hearing , least for something thats still drivable on the street anyway.
I have sat in cars I build up to levels of 160db on the old meters (154 on todays) and my hearing is 100%.
The damage from loud music comes from anything above around 1000hz range , the faster sound waves smash your ear drums.

It would take ALOT of speakers in a car to cause any damage , usually the damge comes from prolonged use of jack hammers , drilling machines and rock concerts with distorted music etc.

Before anyone questions my comments I have 15 years experience with car audio , Im well qualified :)
Im 1 of the gumbies responsible for building the cars that annoy the hell out of the older folk.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Sorry but your incorrect on this 1......you may believe your hearing is 100% but i can assure you if you have been listening to loud music (irrespective of how much base) for any decent length of time then you will have hearing loss.

The sort of damage we are talking about hear occurs gradually.

Seriously, do those people just make up words to sound important or what?

DevilDRake

Braaaap
Reaction score
Website
www.devildrake.deviantart.com
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS 6L Ute
I live in the back of a main rd, and the subs in the cars going past rattle and shake my floor of my room.

Me personally, i love bass but i cannot concentrate 100% even having music half volume or something. It just puts me in speed demon mode, so most of the time i have it so i can talk to people. There is the some-time occasion where it might get loud but you'd only hear it 10 metres away

KAL SPL

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Blown VS Calais !!
Have and my hearing is 100% but thanks for your concern.

Sashyre I did state rock concerts , that basically includes live bands which if your sitting in front of a full range speaker like that then yes your going to do damage.

I have spent 3 hours driving in car that does 144Db just to try and make the ultimate system shut down and I gave in after I ran out of road.
Funnily enough I can still hear ?

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
That was meant to be 100Hz , my bad.

Where did I state I know more than an audiologist ? whats that got to do with it , its my own opinion with first hand experience.

Theres people all over the world that sit in cars well over 170db and there not deaf , prolonged exposure will yes but how long before it happens is alot more likely at higher frequencies than anything below 100hz if at all.
Higher frequency = faster waves , not sure on the correct terminology sorry Im only a fitter , not real bright. Slip up/lack of knowledge call it what you want I know what I mean :p

you implied you were qualified to give advice about hearing damage. It appears you dont even understand the basics about the speed of sound, wavelength and frequency and you fit car audio for a living?, how do you understand the formation of flat spots, nodes, resonances in the systems and how to avoid them?

your opinion should be valued no more than a smoker who says " i smoke a pack a day, and am as fit as a fiddle, therefore smoking is safe"

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
I have spent 3 hours driving in car that does 144Db just to try and make the ultimate system shut down and I gave in after I ran out of road.
Funnily enough I can still hear ?

Your hearing isn't affected on the day, it's a slow process over time. Just like you don't smoke one cigarette and die of lung cancer.