Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double DIN head unit in VY

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I've been looking around for ages but I'm yet to come across a fascia panel to suit the installation of double DIN head units in a VY Commodore.

There are heaps of single DIN adapters out there (I have one) and they are a nice neat fit that plugs the hole in the console quite nicely. Does anyone know if there's a double DIN adapter available somewhere, or is my only option attacking my old single DIN adapter with a saw?

Any help would be appreciated.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I've got one of those in my car, not double DIN though. Only lets you have the single. The cavity is double but the fascia is single.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Drat, I thought somebody actually had a solution :bang:

Marzz, I do have one of those, but it looks like I'm about to chop it up to make my own adaptor :cry: Incidentally, those single DIN fascia adaptors are avaliable from Autobarn for about $50.

Surely one of the installer guys on the site knows if there's a solution to this problem or not - I can't be the only guy in the world with a double DIN head unit in a VY/VZ model.

Mobile Fidelity

Reaction score
Something like this?

Attachments

• DSCF0820.jpg
    DSCF0820.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 11,915
  • DSCF1066.jpg
    DSCF1066.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 6,462

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Something exactly like that.....I actually managed to find a company in the US that makes double DIN face plates for the 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO (aka Monaro) but they haven't got back to me yet.

Mobile Fidelity, who makes that fascia, can you source them and how much are they? The ones in the US are made by Metra and cost about $20 (!)

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I've done a little more searching and I've sent off a few emails to the US about fascia kits. The item I need is a Metra kit, part no. 99-3528 (DDIN). That part number also applies to a similar single DIN kit. I can only find one place on the net that sells them: http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=95-3528

Apparently their Australian distributor is in Melbourne but hasn't returned my emails yet. Anyone else know how to get hold of this stuff?

ProMaX

Make way!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
04 VZ SS Impulse Blue Ute
just a quick question sorry if its abit off topic..

but how do you get the factory blaupunkt unit out of your VY?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
how do you get the factory blaupunkt unit out of your VY?
It's really simple and you can do it yourself with a couple of very basic tools. There's quite a bit of information around if you do a search, but the best instructions I've seen come from Phreddy's ASR website: http://www.asr-audio.com.au/files/RemovRefit.pdf

Now, back to these fascias....:whistling

Andre_W

Reaction score
Website
www.ncsis.com
Members Ride
VZ Acclaim Wagon
Klaw

haven't heard from anyone? I think I'm about to order that one from the states. But if you've found somewhere local(er) that'd be good.