Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double DIN head unit in VY

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
You can modfy the single din fascia with the pocket to make a double din hole.
With a bit of fine filing and cutting, it looks factory

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
I actually posted my progress on another thread yesterday: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=58739

For future reference, I have found what I think will be a suitable kit...it's a Metra part number 95-3528 which suits the US 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO (aka Monaro). I have sent a lot of emails off to US sellers of these kits but a lot of them seem reluctant to post items overseas. One of them referred my inquiry to Metra themselves. I am given to understand that Metra's Australian distributor has recently ordered a number these kits and they will soon be available through Autobarn and similar shops....quote Metra Part # FP95-3528 to your local store, they will probably cost about $60.

I have ordered one of these kits from a contact in the US and I hope to receive it some time soon. When it arrives, I will let you know what it's like and post a few pics. A few GTO owners in the US have them and seem to be pretty happy with them.

Now, if only I could find a way of getting a steering wheel control converter that works with my JVC AVX700 head unit.....

AuAudio

Reaction score
Scosche sell the GTO Pontiac steering wheel radio control interface for Alpine/JVC (model SWCALP).

They are compatible with 2005 range of Alpine decks that are steering remote ready, or JVC & Kenwood decks that have wired remote inputs RRP$235.

Last edited:

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Unfortunately the AVX700 doesn't support a wired remote, as far as I know. I don't think any of the PAC interfaces support the JVC DVD infrared remotes either, although the normal JVC fob remote (from the CD head units) does seem to be capable of controlling some of the functions of my DVD unit.

I've read that the CAT-09 (Stinger) is capable of controlling the JVC DVD units but I'm yet to find any useful data about that....

poony

poony
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV R8 CLUBSPORT
double din facias are on ebay some times cheep

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Finally, it's here

My fascia kit arrived in the post yesterday and I installed it last night. Overall I'm very happy with the result - quick and neat, and it's a sturdy, well-made kit. I've attached a photo of the end result.

The kit includes 2 plastic brackets which go either side of the head unit to hold it in place, and the fascia itself which is just a big trim ring that clips into place. The brackets line up perfectly with the factory screw holes and the whole job took only 15 minutes - most of that time was just removing and re-installing the console. There is provision to mount either one large head unit or 2 stacked single DIN units.

Since it might be a month or two til they're available through the shops, I wondered if I should try to import a few more through my contact in the US. Anyone interested? Should be around $35-40...

Attachments

• p1.JPG
    p1.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 9,910

Nordy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
may also be interested
from the picture it looks like a black finish...not quite the same finish as stock trim...would this be right?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
Yes, it's black rather than the bronzy silver colour the rest of the console is. I think the US GTO has black and silver interior trim so it would match those car's colour scheme better.

I'm debating whether I should try to paint the fascia to suit the rest of the console, or to swap the console for a black & silver SS one which would suit the head unit & fascia. I'm just happy to not have a gaping hole in my dash any more!

My fascia took about a week to arrive from when I ordered it - I imagine I could get more in about the same time.

marty66

Reaction score
vy double din fascia

a double din fascia will soon be available from aerpro but if you want a custom made one that can be painted any colour you want contact top end audio in perth he makes an xcellent one out of mdf.