Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dreaded Antenna ( quick fix )

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Oh right. You haven't done it? Oh man, so easy. Heaps easier than pulling a stereo out.

Those scrivets work like this. You unscrew the plastic philips head screw and pull that out. Then you can just pull out the scrivet.

You don't have to screw them in again after. You might have to wrap a bit of electrical tape around the legs to hold them together to push it into the hole. Then put the screw in. Then just push it in hard with your philips head. They push back in. The thread is just for getting them out.

You won't have to pull the whole wheel arch out. Just undo a few around the antenna bit and you are in there.

You have been putting up with it all that time. Psychological torment!

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah but those screws just turn and turn and never unwind

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i have done it before by breaking them and hurting myself lol

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Yeah just lever them with a small screwdriver or dinner knife at the same time as you turn them. Under the big lip is fine. The thread will catch. Otherwise drill them out and add in new ones. The trick is try not to be pushing at the same time you turn. Only be turning. It is a gentle touch.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I have started replacing all the phillips head screw scrivets with the push fit ones. Way easier to remove. I found a good seller on eBay.
Good advice with the knife under it as you unscrew.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
I knew you would take an interest in scrivets. Yeah, I like those push pins with the gap to put your screwdriver to pop the head out. Heaps easier to use.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i probably could have made a bigger effort, i just pulled out for fear of being left without a car ( or inner guard ) if I broke it.

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Well, at least you are honest ha ha. It is a good start. Just charge it. This job has the least amount of things likely to go wrong possible.

If you need to drill a scrivet or break one, you can get some from the rear bumper, under where your boot closes, till you get to a shop. Nothing will be left hanging off.

shueardm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
so once i am inside the guard, i just pull the hot wire , which is what colour? Sparky tape?

wannaeatyourbrains

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Nah, there is a plug connecting the antenna to the harness going into the car. Just unplug it, mate. Put some tape over both ends in case you want to plug it in again some day.