Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driveline noise

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
hey,

Had a issue develop in the last week with my VF redline manual.

When shifting especially from 1st to 2nd it can make a thud noise time to time and also when in gear driving if you go off the throttle and let the car coast then accelerate there is a slight delay then thud in the driveline?

I've got it booked into Holden next Friday but just seeing if anyone has a idea on what it could be?

From googling looks like transmission mounts or engine mounts, does this sound likely or would it be diff related (wouldn't affect the 1st to 2nd I would think)

Thanks in advance

Mike__

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2ssv
Driveline slack ? Play in diff/ uni joints .

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Driveline slack ? Play in diff/ uni joints .

I did think of this but would have thought it wouldn't affect the shift quality?

Gunna get under it tomorrow to have a look, hopefully something easy as don't want to get the run around from holder "it's normal to have driveline slack" because the car definitely didn't have any prior to this week.

Nathan D Roberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV REDLINE MANUAL
I am having the same issue with my redline. One holden dealer tried telling me it's just normal backlash, another dealer replaced my tailshaft coupling & remounted exhaust and its still there and very loud. What outcome did you find with yours ? If you could point me in the right direction that would be great

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
Had a 2nd opinion from my tuner and he said its normal, they will never be a tight as they come from factory as the driveline wears. Mine might not be as bad as yours as I have gotten used to it and after changing to aftermarket exhaust I don't hear anything.

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Mine had that thud since I bought it 2nd hand with 45k km on the odo... now has 74k km.

Funny how my 14 year old Mitsubishi 380 with 176k km doesn't make any noticable thud in the transmission/driveline.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Check drive line bolts I bent a few in my VE and got the same thud issue

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Recalls & faults: Holden VF Commodore (2013-2017)

2015 Holden VF Commodore: clunk when shifting between drive and reverse

General Motors issued a service bulletin for 2015 Holden VF Commodore vehicles that had six-speed 6L45 MYA automatic transmissions. In these vehicles, a 'clunk' or 'ping' noise may be heard from the rear of the vehicle when the driver completed a 'change of direction shift' (i.e. drive to reverse or reverse to drive). The service bulletin attributed this noise to movement between the splines of the output shaft and the output flange. Furthermore, this noise could 'propagate' up the prop shaft and the transmission tunnel to the rear of the vehicle. To fix,

• The propeller shaft was to be removed;
  • The transmission output nut and flange were to be removed, and the output shaft flange nut discarded. The transmission output flange was then to be removed from the transmission output shaft;
  • The output flange and shaft were to be inspected for corrosion and, if present, that corrosion was to be removed with a wire brush. The parts were then to be cleaned with Prepsol, wiped thoroughly and allowed to fully dry;
  • The output flange was to be re-installed with adhesive (GM part number 89021297) or Loctite 272 applied across the width of the flange splines. Once adhesive had been applied to every spline along its complete length, the output flange was to be installed over the shaft. Excessive adhesive was to be wiped off with a clean rag;
  • The new output flange nut was to be cleaned (with Prepsol if required);
  • The output flange nut was to be installed with adhesive across the thread of the new nut;
  • The propeller shaft was to be re-installed; and,
  • The vehicle was to be left for 24 hours so that the adhesive could cure.
Holden VF Commodore with six-speed auto: clunk noise on take-off
General Motors issued a service bulletin for Holden VF Commodore vehicles that had six-speed automatic transmissions. When accelerating from rest under light to medium throttle, the driver may notice a 'thud' or 'clunk' noise from the rear of the vehicle immediately after take-off. According to the service bulletin, the noise would only be heard when moving forward in Drive mode or Sports mode, but would not be experienced in Active Select (A/S) mode.

The clunk noise was attributed to the transmission making a clutch change while in first gear. Specifically, the transmission changed from a first locked (CBR1 clutch locked) to a first freewheel (CBR1 clutch released) state at 4 km/h. The driver does not usually feel the clutch transition of CBR1 releasing since the first gear ratio was maintained. However, the disengagement of the CBR1 clutch and the engagement of the one-way clutch caused a torque-spike that could produce a clunk noise at the driveline end of the vehicle.

According to the service bulletin, owners were to be informed that the noise was a 'known, normal characteristic of the transmission' and that it was 'not detrimental to the life of the vehicle'.

That last paragraph can be a problem with lazy dealers that simply don’t want to investigate further and just dismiss the noise.

Best to gather as much detail as possible about the noise, where it comes from and under what conditions. If you have a copy of the VF workshop manual, it has a great section that defines the noise terminology that the service guys should be using... read it and learn to speak their lingo as it helps.

Last edited:

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
As in the bolts on the driveshaft to diff etc?
Yep there's 3 somehow mine were bent giving slop and thud sound