Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers grab handle

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Does anyone else find the lack of a grab handle above the drivers door annoying?

I’m really careful to swivel my arse and swing my leg over the seat bolsters so as not to crush them, and I find not having a handle to hold onto really inconvenient.

I end up having to put my right elbow against the outside of the car to pull myself up and over the bolsters, which isn’t ideal.

First world problem i know, but anyone bothered by this?, I have no idea why they wouldn’t include one...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It’s never occurred to me before ... the OMFG handle is usually used by passengers when the driver’s grasping the wheel with both hands!

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
It’s never occurred to me before ... the OMFG handle is usually used by passengers when the driver’s grasping the wheel with both hands!

And I totally get that lol. I guess it’s only since I’ve had the Senator with the large bolsters, that I’ve been super conscious of not crushing them that the handle has been quite conspicuous in its absence! :)

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY13 VF SSV sedan - Phantom
My drivers grab handle is in the middle of the console... although others may argue it’s not ;-)

kirkc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6
My drivers grab handle is in the middle of the console... although others may argue it’s not ;-)
Kinda related but not...I went from having a VE Berlina for 5 years to a VF2 SV6 and anyone familiar with both will know that the VF handbrake switch is the same kind of switch in about the same spot as the window switches in the Berlina. (You know where this is going) On more than one occasion - whilst driving - I have attempted to close my window. Instead of my my window closing the car makes a very unhappy noise, maybe beeps and, um slows quickly.

Soooo why dafuq would they do that to former VE drivers. Annnnd more importantly, in an almost completely 'fly-by-wire' vehicle, why the hell does the computer let you switch on the park brake whilst you are cruising along in top gear?!

On topic...yes, I have often wished I had one of those handles. I have found myself exiting the car exactly as OP described, also being careful not to lean on the paint in the process. It wasn't the bolsters I had been thinking about (but I will be now), it is the plastic side cover on the seat base. I cracked the one in the Berlina for pretty much the same reason.