Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drivers Window Squeak/Rattle

davidlock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
My parents VX SS has done 90,000 kms and thankfully does not have this rattle you are talking about. It did have a rattle in the steering wheel but was fixed under warranty at about 20,000 kms. We have found that the rattles that do occur are actually bits like coins, keys or other bits we have in the car and when the car is cleaned inside and these items taken out the car is tight and rattle free. So touch wood, hope they dont get the annoying one your talking about

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
dtrain said:
My Vy is lowered as well. It has the FE2 equivalent in it. It was NOT fitted by the factory though. Holden have told me that those fitted with the FE2 will develop rattles as the tougher suspension causes the body to flex more. OK but why only on the drivers side window??? It's 30,000 K service is due in the next couple of weeks so we'll see what the dealers have to say then. I'm not giving up on this though. I wanted one of the cars for so long that i'm not going to let this rattle beat me. Eventually I WILL find the solution, even if I have to rebuild the whole car myself.
Well that's the biggest load of dealership rubbish I have heard for awhile!! (Not that I'm surprised) I have a VY R8, now as you know they have a harder riding suspension compared to most Commodore Bodied cars on the road, 96000kms on and not a rattle. I am at a pains to explain all your hardships. but I will now be paying much closer attention to my drivers door to see if indeed I do have this problem, but usually, the worst rattle I get is my Citylink E-Tag on its own bracket! I'll keep you posted!!:D

Stretcher Bearer

A.R.N.G.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SOCOG Exec 9C1
What are two things generally in every drivers door?

The Remote Mirror Controls and the Key lock and tumbler. Perhaps we should be looking at these two items as a possible cause?

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
Found the problem.

Whilst driving along (all windows closed) make a first, poking your thumb out. Place it level with the stored up sun visor.
Now press the window as hard as you can with your thumb against the glass about 1cm from the top edge.

You should be pressing on the corner of the window with 10% upward effort the rest sideways.

Noise gone isn't it :)

Problem is with the runners or bushings for the window. The window rattles and it sounds like the doors.

I'll see if Holden will warranty fix this to answer everyones gripes.

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
People, I think we have two problems in the one thread here.

Problem 1 is a squeak from the drivers side WINDOW just by your ear ONLY WHEN THE WINDOW IS FULLY UP. Just 'tap' the electric window switch to slightly lower the window and the sqeak stops.

Problem 2 is a squeak from the door seals AROUND THE WINDOW rubbing on the body of the car. Slightly lowering the window does not stop this squeak. Applying silicone to the rubber seals will stop the noise for a while.

My VP Commodore had Problem 2 - a squirt of silicone on the rubbers would stop this for a month or two.

My VY developed Problem 1 shortly after having the windows tinted. I bought the car with 20K on it - no squeaks. Had it for 3-4 months, then had the windows tinted and noticed the squeak soon after. I didn't connect at the time, so didn't take it back to the tinter. I suspect that the window stops were changed to let them apply the tint.

Can someone please post a description of where the stops are located and how to adjust them. This would let several people have a go at fixing the problem and we can then share experiences.

Cheers,
Paul.

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Solution, for me anyway

I have waited 3 weeks to make sure the rattle did not return before I posted this. I have had all the crap issues with the pathetic design of the window. It always would stop if I tapped the power window button to lower it slightly, only to return immediately once I raised it to the fully closed position. I have had my VY since new and my dealership had tried a number of times to fix the noise. It always came back.

FIX: This is gonna sound harsh, but it worked.

1: Lower the window fully and open the door.

2: Grasp the top of the door/window frame and bend it outwards. This applies more pressure to the glass when the window is fully up and prevents it from moving around and squeaking.

3: Loosen the door striker just enough so as to close the door and make sure it shuts in tight against the body of the car, but it opens and closes smoothly.

You should now notice a small amount of resistance when the window is just about closed in the up position. Rattle should be gone.

greenbeam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Have you noticed any increase in wind noise around the door?

BTW - funny you say to lower the glass first - a panel beater told me to do something like this with a Torana to reduce wind noise around the door, but to push IN on the frame, but he said make sure the glass is UP, otherwise you could fold the whole door frame over! I was scared of breaking the glass, but it did reduce the wind noise around the door. Didn't help with the 'other' source of wind noise in the car though ;-)

Cheers,
Paul and 'Squeaks' the VY Berlina

Woogler

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S1 Lumina HBD
Yes there is a slight increase in wind noise. I had to bend it a number of times. Taking it a little further each time. It definitely fixed the noise though. Unfortunately, my windows have leaked water since new through the top when in heavy rain, so I can't really know if the adjustment will cause this to be worse.

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
This is how they adjusted doors in cars years ago.

It doesn't fix the rattle when the window is down. I think there's a nylon bushing that needs replacing......

Snap

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 Commodore
Holden have warranted the squeaky window problem. The rubber strips on the B-Pillar apply pressure to the windows when either up or down.

Will find out tonight if this worked when I pick up the car but the dealer says he does at least 8 of these a week.