Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Driving an automatic VY as a manual

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I have never heard so much CR.P in my life! If GMH didnt want you to use the Automatic intermediate forward gears then they wouldnt have put them on the gear selector in the first place!! Like any machinery , as long as it isnt abused it will last a long long time. I have been driving GMH Automatic vehicles for 45 years & never had a mechanical problem with manually down or upshifting & the fluid has always been reasonably clean at change intervals....... I like driving semi -automatically, it's fun & you feel more involved with the vehicle..

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
What's the saying "pics or it didn't happen"

See above... that is out of my first box, before I had one made custom to stop it happening. The 4l60e is te biggest piece of **** around don't care what anyone says.. I have proof.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Glad to see I spurred some discussion :D
Just went out for a drive and upshifted manually, seemed quite jerky unless I put some throttle behind it.
I will never downshift with it, I figured that was just stupid, to downshift I just chuck it back up into drive, brake and let the computer downshift it.

Keep up the discussion :)

Ignited-SV6

Sleek and Class
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Read your Holden manual. It will explain how to use it.

For the sake of the conversation with your mates, don't use it like a manual gearbox - or as the pic above shows, you'll screw your gearbox.

Also, never hold revs in N and slam it into D to do a burnout - I did that in my mums VT many years ago and the gearbox literally went BOOM.

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Read your Holden manual. It will explain how to use it.

For the sake of the conversation with your mates, don't use it like a manual gearbox - or as the pic above shows, you'll screw your gearbox.

Also, never hold revs in N and slam it into D to do a burnout - I did that in my mums VT many years ago and the gearbox literally went BOOM.

Hahahaha

"it was all like Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam Bam and drop into D for maximum respect"

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
I occasionally drop it back to third to overtake, or to descend a steep hill. Apart from that I let the transmission do the work, hence the name 'Automatic transmission'

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I know how you could drive your car like a manual.... convert it to a manual, then you wont have to worry about stuffing up your gearbox.

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
I know how you could drive your car like a manual.... convert it to a manual, then you wont have to worry about stuffing up your gearbox.

My god your ideas are revolutionary. Was merely a thought process, no need for stupid, smart alec responses.
Thanks for your input.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
My god your ideas are revolutionary. Was merely a thought process, no need for stupid, smart alec responses.
Thanks for your input.

Relax, it was a joke. I wasn't being serious. I think that if you are towing then you are supposed to use the gears manually. If i'm driving along and I start going down hill, I usually change it into 3rd manually so it doesn't start rolling faster and faster, and I can save the brakes as well. Never had a problem doing that.