Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

driving without the engine cover

kahlnz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SSV A6
Shop that dyno tuned my VE SSV took the cover off as it has a lot of 'heat soak' and their testing consistently shows 5-8rwkw gain by running the L98 without the covers. They advised me to leave it off, so I have. Easy 5-8rwkw mod!!!!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I tried it without the engine cover and man does the bonnet get hot.

So chucked mine back on.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I think you'll find the bonnet gets hot whether the cover is on or off. The engine still generates the same amount of heat and that heat will always rise. Radiant heat is probably at its lowest from the top of the engine and wont do any damage to paintwork.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
As Ricey said, bonnet gets hot with or without the engine cover.

Removing the engine cover doesnt reduce or cause more underbonnet temperatures. A few years ago somebody did a test of temperatures with and without engine covers, and the difference in temperature was only a couple of degrees. The biggest factor being coolant/heater hoses which contribute significantly to the heat.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
I think you'll find the bonnet gets hot whether the cover is on or off. The engine still generates the same amount of heat and that heat will always rise. Radiant heat is probably at its lowest from the top of the engine and wont do any damage to paintwork.

I put mine back on because I was worried about the paint as well, but now that i think about it, I probably never paid much attention to how hot the bonnet was beforehand with the cover on. I may try again and check in both states.
If not just the one I'm in.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
I've just left mine on the Clubsport, I don't see the point and I've never seen any good reason to remove it. My Monaro came with split aftermarket one's, I kind of wish it had the original cover especially if it had Monaro written on it.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I leave mine on purely because if an 'officer' pulls me over and wants to look under my bonnet, it looks mostly factory.

I'm guessing the cover is there for for few few reasons. To look better (in average Joe's eyes), sound deadening, and to stop heat damaging the bonnet paint work 15+ years down the track.
I only take it off if going to the drags, so heat can escape quicker when the bonnet is up waiting for the next run.

I would have thought 700+ degree exhaust headers would contribute more heat then 180 degree heater hoses/rad hoses/bypass hoses.?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
If you are worried about thermal degradation of the paint it would be better to insulate the bonnet to protect the paint than run with the cover on and trap heat in the top of the engine. and ceramic coated headers could help too.

rum87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Redline Ute M6
Wouldn't the sun heat your paint more then the engine anyway? I know my paint is too hot to touch after sitting in the qld sun. And after a long drive I can keep my hand on the bonnet more then when it's been in the sun.