Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dropping sump because of sludge (pic inside) [update, more pictures]

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
No sorry, however there are two 70000km gaps in the log books, but I dont think it would still be working with that sort of service interval. To prevent it happening to your engine run a full-synthetic oil with a high detergent content, and drop the oil every 5000 to 10000 kms depending on your driving style. Definitely dont do the dealer-recommended service interval of 15, 000km.

Did I read that right , that was two 70,000KM gaps ? As above , do a couple of filter changes @ 500kms , and then do a few 1000kms services , running a flush with a engine that sludged , I'm not sure about .

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Using Holden as an example, but a few too many moons ago, a mechanic friend bought a HR with a 186 in it, took the rocker cover off and it was sludged up pretty bad. Didn't make any noise while running. Ran a couple of cans of flush through it and changed the oil a few times over a period of about a month. The engine developed a rattle, then a knock, then it threw a big end.

Point of the story is the sludge was what was taking up all the clearances from wear and tear. Got rid of it and rattle rattle bang.

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
Honestly mate, you're better off turfing that engine and replacing it with one in better nick. I did the alloytec engine swap for the same reason and its not hard, especially when you consider the work you have to do to clean out this engine with no guarantees

Late arrival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exc
ya two 70000km gaps, but i dont think it would still be runningif that was the case.

Late arrival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exc
Using Holden as an example, but a few too many moons ago, a mechanic friend bought a HR with a 186 in it, took the rocker cover off and it was sludged up pretty bad. Didn't make any noise while running. Ran a couple of cans of flush through it and changed the oil a few times over a period of about a month. The engine developed a rattle, then a knock, then it threw a big end.

Point of the story is the sludge was what was taking up all the clearances from wear and tear. Got rid of it and rattle rattle bang.

Dont wanna hear it

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Tolerances and manufacturing techniques have changed a lot since then. I think your best bet, is still to go to the effort of cleaning old bertha out before scraping it.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Tolerances and manufacturing techniques have changed a lot since then. I think your best bet, is still to go to the effort of cleaning old bertha out before scraping it.

Bearings are still bearings and they still wear. The wear is taken up by a hardened layer of sludge, clean that out and it's your wallet. Not saying that this is the case with this particular engine, just saying I would strip it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Bearings are still bearings and they still wear. The wear is taken up by a hardened layer of sludge, clean that out and it's your wallet. Not saying that this is the case with this particular engine, just saying I would strip it.

Fair point, but at what point do you stop? Oil rings on the pistons?

Given that I'm no engine builder, how hard is to check the condition of at least the bottom half of the big end bearings?

Last edited:

XioiX1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 V8 Adventra
Given the amount of sludge I would remove the covers and clean the lot.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I would just strip the entire engine and clean it properly. With that amount of crap in the motor it will just be problem after problem down the track.