Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dropping sump because of sludge (pic inside) [update, more pictures]

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
i'd just drive it till it blows up and put another in serriously this motor need a full strip hot tanked and re-assemble its not worth the effort

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
These motors are fine on the 15k interval and semi syn. They sludge up when you start skipping services.

Hrd455

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz v6 ute
My mate had the same issues. He took his in for new gaskets and the mechanic found the same amount of sludge a week later some sludge must of fallen into the sump and blocked the pick up lines. So we spent $1000 bucks on a new motor from the wreckers spent the weekend fitting the new motor and he's had no trouble since

Late arrival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exc
Pulled timing cover. Aint she pretty/

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 724

Late arrival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exc
But the top end looks slightly better

Attachments

• IMG_0505.jpg
    IMG_0505.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 380

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
I reckon the previous owner must have missed the oil changes for those 70,000km gaps. Looks like grease, never seen that much sludge in a motor before :/

Yes it would still run but there will be a lot of excessive wear.

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
this is what I would do... remove sump , timming cover, oil pump, rocker covers, hire a steam cleaner and blast all off the crap out off it, flush the engine galleries with lots off air , clean oil pump, re prime oil pump poor oil in and turn the motor over just flush galleries... re assemble then use diseil oil too clean your engine , if it dosent blow upp straight away run it for a hour or two drop oil/filter then try again,, but me personally just buy another motor cheaper in the long run

Late arrival

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exc
everything's off but the oil pump do I might do that as well. Expecting to have to buy a new engine soon anyway, sorta doing this because I've never done it before

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
everything's off but the oil pump do I might do that as well. Expecting to have to buy a new engine soon anyway, sorta doing this because I've never done it before

well look at it this way I you #### it no big issue then, you might be able too save it for a few more kilometres

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
as long as the sumps off and you are removing the gunge not just knocking it into the sump it should be fine as long as it hasnt allready run some bearings low on oil.clean it up slap in some cheap deisel oil and off you go change oil when it gets discoloured rinse and repeat