Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drowned GTS

gtskiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Hi everyone, I wish this was a nightmare but I'm afraid it's not, my pride and joy a 2011 ve gts was caught in the middle of cyclone Gabriel two weeks ago and he spent two days under water I can finally get him out of where he is tomorrow and I'm after any helpful advice anyone has. Insurance want to write him off but I'm not going to give up on my pride and joy. So please any advice on what I should do to the electrical components really that's my main concern.

Dodgy_Davo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0
think the electrical stuff is gonseky bro..

This is indeed some nightmare stuff - only consolation is you had insurance ....hope you had it insured at the right value for todays market...right?

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yea I did but it's not about the money.
Your only realistic option is replacing EVERYTHING electric. But even then all door hinges and drivetrain mechanicals could also cause trouble in the future because of this.
As sad as it is, you are probably best to take the money and move on.

Or buy it back, rip everything out and build a track car of the shell.

Good luck my fellow kiwi

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
How deep was it under water? Fully submerged or only partly?

gtskiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Thanks

How deep was it under water? Fully submerged or only partly?

Fully submerged mate. Had it in my shed and a flash flood come through I didn't have to to collect anything.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I feel for you but as others have said you have to let it go and start afresh. The suspension, brakes and body might be ok but every thing else would be a write off. The cost of a rebuild unless you can do it all yourself would be horrendous. If you are paid out by the insurance are you able to buy it back? Do you as Deuce suggests have an interest in turning it into a track car?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If the car was submerged in fresh water for 2 days, it’s a writeoff from an insurance perspective even worse if it was submerged in brackish or salt water as that impacts parts salvage.

But everything is salvageable if cost is no impass and writeoff laws allow you to put it back on the road.

If you would be allowed to put it back on the road, and that’s a big if, you’ve got a big project on your hands.

You’d need to fully strip the car to a bare shell with all removable panels, doors, etc, also off the vehicle. Then you’d need to wash all body bits and clean all the silt and crud off the vehicle shell. it’s not so easy to do this well as there are many difficult to access places which would have silted up and if not cleaned well will cause corrosion at a later date. Once clean and dry, a corrosion inhibitor spray would be a great idea before the body is reassembled and bits that need lubrication are lubricated.

Then every other component must be stripped down to sub components level and washed clean then dried before inspection and repairs done followed by reassembly. Then that assembly can be reinstalled within the shell.

And this is where the difficulty lies as corrosion may have already started and such corrosion must be addressed which in most cases isn’t easy.

For example, all connector pins, looms, earth points, circuit boards, etc, must be cleaned, dried and inspected and any issues corrected. Yep, circuit boards.. Just addressing the connectors is a big PITA since connectors are sealed (generally IP66 or IP67 rated) but not water proof for permanent immersion in 2 meters of water (don’t thing even IP68 allows for that). So the seals on the connectors must be removed and wires depinned and the bits washed and dried before repinning, lubricating and resealing. And what’s the likelihood some pins are reinstalled in the wrong location? As such, it’s a long slow process with lots of cross checking and testing to ensure wiring will be ok.

Unfortunately many sub assemblies are often designed in a way where they can’t be easily dismantled which makes cleaning, drying and inspecting for damage a rather difficult task let alone the difficulty of reassembling things that weren’t designed to be pulled apart. And all electronic stuff must be fully disassembled to extract the circuit board and wash, clear and inspect for damage.… and then tested that it works post repair.… replacement is easier but that’s cost prohibitive... How many electronic modules, cluster, radio, etc exist in your car?

Some parts simply can’t be cleaned and inspected. All airbags and pyrotechnics devices must be disposed of and new items purchased. Not sure how many such devices your car has but I can’t see new driver and passenger airbags, side curtain airbags and seatbelt tensioners being cheap.

Headlamps, tail lamps, etc will be full of water and these aren’t easy to clean as they can’t be easily disassembled.

Haven’t even got to the interior but could the headlining even survive a dunking. Yes it can be cleaned but it could quickly resemble a bedouin tent in short time. Front seats need to be dismantled and their electrics stripped, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled, etc… But most of those seat motors aren’t designed for disassembly. And what about mould if it’s started to grow… it ain’t easy as stuff can’t be cleaned and dried quickly enough post flood so mould becomes a real problem...

And we haven’t even got to the mechanicals where the diff, gearbox and engine will need to be dismantled and cleaned as a simple oil changes won’t be enough as mud and grit got inside these parts (which is a certainty after 2 days under dirty water).

What about the shocks? mud and grit sitting around the shaft seals may mean a quick seal failure when back in service (unless these parts are also thoroughly cleaned as well).

It just doesn’t end as there is so so much to do if you want it done correctly and for it to last…

But shortcuts could be taken though these will come back and bite you or the next owner…

So it comes down to what you want to achieve, a quick clean up and flip for some $$ (where the car becomes someone else’s problem) or you want to do a proper job that far exceeds the value of the vehicle (because of emotional attachment)? Neither is a great thing to do…

As I said, anything is possible if money is no object but just be warned that if the insurance company marks it as a statutory write off and NZ laws are like Aussie laws, you won’t be able to put it back on the road regardless how well you do the work and how much monies you’ve spent doing the work.

So check the writeoff laws in NZ so you clearly understand the rules and the difference between statutory or economic writeoffs. You also need to clearly understand whether the insurance company will flag the VIN in some database as a statutory or economic writeoff as that will have impact on re-registration.

And again, understand the rules around repairing an economic writeoff as down under it’s a complicated process with certified engineers needing to sign off on the repairs (so they have their own rules around what they want to see).

Understand the rules BEFORE you take a settlement and BEfORE you spend a few thousand hours and tens of thousands of dollars trying to resuscitate this drowned car.

Last edited:

Dodgy_Davo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0
ok Skylarking's description sounds like a living hell trying to fix - only sane option is to accept the payout and try to find as close as possible to a replacement car on the market , same colour and options etc. - only way from this point

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
gremlins will appear constantly as the electronics corrode away over time. If it was in Australia they'll make you prove the airbags are going to work if its in an accident. Take the payout forget about the car.

Reactions: Lex