Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drumming at 50 to 80Km/h

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Hi everyone,
I've got a 2000 VX Commodore with 330K. Still on original factory front wheel hubs. Had a drumming sound which I thought was due to bad wheel alignment/balance.
Just got new tyres and balance and another alignment and it is still there. Am I right to think front hubs? or possibly another dud balance alignment? How long should i expect from the factory front hubs?
The noise starts around 50, is really noticeable at 60 and is gone by 75-80. I can feel a slight vibration and wobble in the steering wheel as well.

Thanks

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Jack up car and spin the front wheels, should be smooth with no sticking points or noise, then wobble the wheel, should not wobble

If all is well pull the wheels and check where the rim meets the disc, ensure that is clean and the disc is mated to the hub correctly

I've found worn hub bearings will be noisy when cornering

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Jack up car and spin the front wheels, should be smooth with no sticking points or noise, then wobble the wheel, should not wobble

If all is well pull the wheels and check where the rim meets the disc, ensure that is clean and the disc is mated to the hub correctly

I've found worn hub bearings will be noisy when cornering
I've had wheel bearings that have passed the wobble test and have still been shite. It just seems odd that its not present thru all the speed ranges which is why I thought balance more than bearing. But pretty big coincidence its happening with new tyres and alignment done by a different mob. I'm thinking about tailshaft as well

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
It's a V8 so depending what engine mounts you have and their age it could very well be engine mounts giving what is usually described as a harmonic vibration.(drumming through the car)
Of course if you are going to change mounts go for genuine from HOLDEN, not genuine from Ripco ar anywhere else.
And do the gearbox mount at the same time.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's a V8 so depending what engine mounts you have and their age it could very well be engine mounts giving what is usually described as a harmonic vibration.(drumming through the car)
Of course if you are going to change mounts go for genuine from HOLDEN, not genuine from Ripco ar anywhere else.
And do the gearbox mount at the same time.
V6
and I wouldn't expect it to feedback thru the steering wheel, or does it?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Diff or rear bearings?

Front bearins are noticeable when turning so I doubt it's the fronts.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
V6
and I wouldn't expect it to feedback thru the steering wheel, or does it?
Sorry my bad, didn't notice VX, but what you describe sounds very much harmonic especially seeing it is between 50 and 80 then gone.
I had a shirtload of trouble with harmonic vibration in another commodore until I changed to genuine mounts from Holden, but that was a long time ago so maybe genuine are no longer available.
Don't, whatever you do, use those no bull (nolathene or similar) mounts or similar.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry my bad, didn't notice VX, but what you describe sounds very much harmonic especially seeing it is between 50 and 80 then gone.
I had a shirtload of trouble with harmonic vibration in another commodore until I changed to genuine mounts from Holden, but that was a long time ago so maybe genuine are no longer available.
Don't, whatever you do, use those no bull (nolathene or similar) mounts or similar.
Would an engine mount issue feed thru to the steering wheel?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Diff or rear bearings?

Front bearins are noticeable when turning so I doubt it's the fronts.
It's not diff
a rear wheel bearing issue coming thru the steering wheel?

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It's not diff
a rear wheel bearing issue coming thru the steering wheel?
Sorry missed this part. Nar diff won't be felt but heard.

Engine mounts possibly if shagged or even tie rod end play.