Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Drumming at 50 to 80Km/h

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Sorry missed this part. Nar diff won't be felt but heard.

Engine mounts possibly if shagged or even tie rod end play.
Still don't think an engine mount would be felt through the steering wheel

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
The rack is connected to the k-frame which with rooted mounts will send vibration through it and the chassis.

Just putting ideas out so you can investigate the condition to help diagnose it.

We can only do so much without seeing for ourselves.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
So still haven't found the cause.

I have rotated the front wheels to the back and ir didn't make any difference.

I also noticed it happens if I am rolling down a hill at 60 to 70 with no accelerator and even if I put the auto in neutral I can still feel/hear it.

Noise is still there during braking, accelerating and covering.

I think it must be Suspension wheel balance or wheel alignment related. Working out which one is going to be the fun part.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
As per #4 and #12
I spent thousands chasing the same/similar problem and one day got a call from the engine reconditioner saying they had a falcon doing the same thing and they had solved it with genuine mounts, so I changed engine and gearbox mount to genuine and that is when I found the dick head mechanic had used genuine repco mounts.
Not the same as genuine GMH.
Did I mention genuine ?:mad:
Good luck.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
As per #4 and #12
I spent thousands chasing the same/similar problem and one day got a call from the engine reconditioner saying they had a falcon doing the same thing and they had solved it with genuine mounts, so I changed engine and gearbox mount to genuine and that is when I found the dick head mechanic had used genuine repco mounts.
Not the same as genuine GMH.
Did I mention genuine ?:mad:
Good luck.
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting all the mounts looked at this morning. I hope it isn't them because finding genuine is probably going to be a mission.
Obviously you have been through it and I appreciate your advice, but would it be likely the noise would change or stop when I put the car in neutral going down a hill at 60 and not stay constant? Rhe revs drop right down to below 1000 and there us no change in noise. It's why I assumed it must be related to suspension or wheels.
Anyway, hopefully I'll have an answer this arvo when I pick up the car and I'll let you know how we went.
Thanks again

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting all the mounts looked at this morning. I hope it isn't them because finding genuine is probably going to be a mission.
Obviously you have been through it and I appreciate your advice, but would it be likely the noise would change or stop when I put the car in neutral going down a hill at 60 and not stay constant? Rhe revs drop right down to below 1000 and there us no change in noise. It's why I assumed it must be related to suspension or wheels.
Anyway, hopefully I'll have an answer this arvo when I pick up the car and I'll let you know how we went.
Thanks again
The problem I had was in a Vl 5 litre and it was harmonic vibration i.e it comes and goes/drums through the car.
It was so bad the engine reconditioner rep got a headache after driving it for a short time.
It came through the tunnel/ through above your head, almost everywhere and at all speeds.
And FWIW I changed wheels and tyres twice, rebuilt the suspension, had balance and alignment done by 3 businesses etc
This went on for over 2 years.
I spent $1000 with a driveline/gearbox business and they drove the car many times over about 2 months trying to find the problem but eventually said sorry, cannot find it.
I will be happy if I ever see the obituary notice for the mechanic.:rolleyes: