Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual Fuel Omega - noisy

thunderlips

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega , HQ GTS Coupe.
Hi all,

I just recently bought an ex GMH dual fuel Omega that's done 15,000k's and while I'm quite happy with it I have found that it's a bit noisy. I can't quite work out if it's the motor or the exhaust.
A friend of mine seems to think it's fitted with a sport exhaust or muffler but I would think that a bit strange being an ex GMH car. Another mate reckons it's the motor.
It's noisier than the 17 year old VR S that it replaced so it just seems odd to me that it would be considered normal. I never really noticed it during the test drive. It's quiet when cruising along, just noisy when powering from a stop or accelerating to overtake etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has one or has been in one and if that seems normal.
Mine's a 2010 model, factory fitted dual fuel.

Overall I'm happy with it. Full sized sedan with the power of a six and running costs of a four. Last fill cost me $36 and I'm getting over 600 k's per tank. The steering wheel is cheap and nasty though, worse than the old VR's. I think I'll change it for a leather SS wheel.

EraserHead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 - Alto Grey
Also made worse because the Omega doesn't have all of the sound deadening installed in the higher specced models.

VE60thLPG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 6oth anniversary LPG
Yep its all true VE is a bit noisy and the LPG model has even less sound deadening (as ERASERHEAD stated) the engine has no covers over the manifold as to run the LPG injectors on the top it does get quieter AT AROUND THE 60,OOO K MArk as engine runs in and by 90,000k they run beatiful ive got 96,000k on mine 2008 60th anniversary and runs better now than ever i got 800ks to the lpg tank on trip upnorth to carnavon bout 1000ks from perth if u flick to fuel it runs a little quieter but you can barly notice the difference and congrats on getten the LPG one pretty rare of late

TumTum

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY9.5 VE SV6 Ute, 2001 VXII Berlina Sed
imho I reckon it's the exhaust - my dual fuel sounds like the main source of the noise is from under the car not so much under the bonnet. When fundage permits, I'm going dual pipes with single exhaust outlets (ie SIDI style). Much of what I read about the SIDI models getting dual pipes was to reduce noise as opposed to performance stuff. Makes sense in a way as there's a lot of noise being muffled by a metal can right under the driver... The 175kw Alloytec is probably also just a little noisier than its newer cousins the 195 and 210. Still, as you've discovered, what's a little noise for the $avings ;) Plus the low end torque in the 175kw motor is great.

VE60thLPG

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve 6oth anniversary LPG
That may be a hard one to do with out the high cost factor you will need change rear bummper for 2nd exhaust or cut to fit pipe and then the cost of painting it aswell as the cost of the 2nd pipe and possibly another o2 sensor and then remap ecu to toget LPG settings for a perfect run. doing this will no doubt lower your mid range take off or higher end possibly leaving you with a lot less then 175kw. Just food for thought or the cost of a whole system from the y section of the manifold all the way to the back. Any hows good luck with watever you do.

thunderlips

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega , HQ GTS Coupe.
Thanks all.
The more I drive the car the more I tend to agree with TumTum.
I think it's the exhaust.

I know it was advertised as having a stainless exhaust. I'm not sure why, maybe it's an LPG thing?
Maybe that might have something to do with it being louder, I'm not sure.
I might see if I can get something done about it but it's not really high on the priority list right now.