Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

328FTW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
I have a pearler cause I'm a total tosser at times. Long story short my rx7 had been outside in the rain about 4 years and had hydrolocked the chev in it from no air filter and water down the carb. Spent hours getting out the water from everything and to get it to fire, drive it inside and there is water in the oil. Drain it and refill, run then do it again. Anyway it was getting late and my friend was busy with his alfa (ewwww). Noticed the TH350 was pissing oil onto the floor so lay under it getting my hair and clothes covered in hot smelly ATF.

Decide to do another oil change to get rid of the last of the water and after about 6 litres of oil I check the dipstick and it was dry......So I look underneath and in my tired state for the first time ever in my life I'd left the sump plug out so there is a mix of ATF and used oil all over the polished concrete workshop but no biggy I'll clean it. After 30 minutes of trying to clean I'd just made a mess so I tried to get back to work on the car so backed it into the shop and the floor was so slippery the old V8 was spinning the wheels as I backed in leaving huge big black tyre marks >: (

So at this point I'm sick of it and call my friend over while backing the beast running onto the concrete and just start spinning it up something shocking, with the lsd it was going awesome to. When I was done I got out and looked back and I'd left my laptop behind the car........ it was now covered in rubber, atf and used oil.

I'm a total tool when the time is right lol

knight_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
svz ute
was replacing windscreen wiper blades on vs wasnt thinking straight took blade off while arm was sprung up then let go of wiper arm it smashed down straight into my windscreen metal to glass (terrible sound might i add) nice cracked windscreen the f word being used for 5 mins but we all learn

CitecCorp

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SSV S2/MY11 Colorado LX-R/2011 Lexus GS-300
Well the day I bought my Lexus home it was a great pleasure. i parked it in the shed and practically slept in there checking out all the features. Later that night I decided i should have another look at the engine so I poped up the hood using the key tag in the process I accidentally pressed the lock button without realizing. At that time I was unaware I had so. so I went around to the front of the car and started checking out the everything under the hood. i placed my keys on the engine and I started poking around the engine. After i was down I closed the hood and I had completely forget about the keys being on the engine. As the Lexus had key-less start I wasn't worried about taking the key out of my ( even though it was not there!!!). When i tried to open the door to move her back in to the shed the door would not open. that is when I realisied the key was in the bonnet. the look I got from the guy from Lexus who came to sort things out was a memorable one!!!

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
I got a call from my daughter saying that her new car would'nt start so I drove over only to find the car was in drive.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
when i was finishing up with the valley seal i was putting the plenum back on, as i was doing that i dropper a bolt down one of the manifold runners, went into the head, i was shitting my self thinking my god, i have to pull the whole thing apart again, after looking for a magnet of sorts, i found one of those multi-purpose screw drivers, and it had a magnet at the end, that luckily enough extended out so i could run it down the manifold into the head to get the bolt.

i was crapping my self because my uncle was telling me how he dropper a tiny nut down the near the timing chain on his ED falcon, blew the **** out of it, took a chuck out of the piston haha.

EDIT:^hahaha i did that in my mums Volvo once, was shitting my self thinking, aw crap, i broke her car.. to look and see it in drive haha

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
i was bleeding my brakes using a pepsi bottle to catch the fluid one day after i finished i did a few other things to the car when i grabbed the bottle without looking and took 3 big mouthfulls of brake fluid before i relised i was not drinking pepsi ,at least i know brake fluid wont kill me but it tastes like crap and wasnt feeling too good afterwards.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
i was bleeding my brakes using a pepsi bottle to catch the fluid one day after i finished i did a few other things to the car when i grabbed the bottle without looking and took 3 big mouthfulls of brake fluid before i relised i was not drinking pepsi ,at least i know brake fluid wont kill me but it tastes like crap and wasnt feeling too good afterwards.

i always peel the label off and write a note of my own with a black permanent marker.... id be more worried a kid might pick it up by mistake....

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
While replacing the fuel filter on my S13, I removed the old one, got the new one from inside the house, and when I came out I had left the hose hanging there letting fuel drain everywhere

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
so i guess its my turn again:

so in order to avoid welding flash (again) i decided to cover my face in a liberal amount of sunscreen to cut the UV rays and stop me from suffering the usual "someone throwing sand in your eyes each time you blink".

welded everything nicely, took a step back to admire my work, rubbed my eye and now have a tonnes of sunscreen burning my eyeballs

fml.