Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Fabz...I thought the dumbest thing you did was paint those stripes on your car.....

Joking buddy...

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
LMAO nah people are coming around with the stripes. Its a cult following i tells ya!! Im thinking ill take them off and put thunder bolts over it next HAHAHAHAHAHA

Swordsy

mmmm beer....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII Maloo R8 - HX Tonner - XJR1200 - XR450R
Who hasn't done a few dumb things when working on cars.........

I got a call from my brother one day while i was at work. he'd snapped a bango axel in hix HX ute and decided to change it for a tuffer 10 bolt(as you do) The first thing he asked when I answered was "is the leaf spring ment to jump at you when you undo the u bolts for the diff?"
It took me a few minuites of talking to him to realise that he had the car supported by the diff he had now half undone!!

One of my stupid adventers happened when the radiator developed a crack in it. i stoped at the shops on my way home from work and it was squirting water out of it. so i decided to release the pressure so i could get home. The problem was the this car keeps deciding to dispose of the rags i stuff under the bonnet. I troopered on anyways and released the cap half way untill it stopped squirting water and stopped hissing. then in all my wisdom i decides to remove the cap(believing that is was no longer pressurised) to check the water level. cap went flying and hot water screamed out of the rad and burnt the s#@t out of my face. Wasn't too bad though, just like a really bad sunburn. Never found the cap........

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Two dumb things i have done was replacing the rear wheel on my old HQ statesman many years ago. carefully tapped the bearing on then carefully tapped the bearing retainer on , then carefully looked at the bearing seal on the ground that i forgot to put on before the bearing and retainer . The other one was replacing the transmission lines on the same car using a ring spanner ,not realising that when both ends are connected there is no was to get the ring spanner off . It's amazing the uses you can find for cable ties.

Bz Kn33z

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VN V6 Turbo
Today i went to start my vn commodorec and it didnt start the fuel pump worked everything was fine though it was the battery took it to get tested and he said it had 700CCA its rated at 600, took it back put it in the car found out what the problem was it was in gear lol.
Put oil in the car after an oil change forgot to put the plug back on oil everywhere.
Undid battery terminal and it when from positive to neg and shocked me lol.
Played a trick on my mate and took the fuel pump fuse out at the petrol station and it wouldnt start he was banging the dash and everything then i had to sell him lol :D

Alspos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Sedan
Undid a rear shock absorber nut on the underside of a HQ I had. I was lying under the car at the time and as the nut finally let go, the diff dropped and smacked my forehead. Lucky the wheel was still on or my head would have been flattened.

iRiot

Merc with a Mouth
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Holden VR Caprice V8 HSV Enhanced
the dumbest things i have done is lots now when i do my car my girlfriend has to be there causes if she is not i always break something i was changing my uni joint in the tail shaft and as i was taking it off i broke the bolt that hold it in i was like ****KK!!!!:realangry lucky i was at tafe and on a hoist so i drilled out the bolt and taped a new hole lucky:thumbsup:

another time i was changing my rooflining and got fustrated because it wouldnt come out and ripped on it then broke the rear 1/4 plastice trimsorry shatted because when it broke i cracked the **** and punched the **** out of it so when i replaced it i made sure my girlfriend was there so she could keep me calm:bop:

Carbiatch

MSV8SS
Reaction score
Website
eastcoastholdens.com
Members Ride
VT SS COMMODORE
Well I myself have not done anything too stupid as yet but my BF has . He did the exact same thing that Scooter79 did , 5 litres of oil over the garage floor. I had to race down to the beach and grab a few buckets of sand to help clean it up. Worst bit is it was his 300zx , most painful car ever to do anything on.
He was also adjusting the idle speed on the carby of his XY and shoved his elbow in the blade of the fan , didnt really phase him though, has a good scar from it too.
And last but not least he was playin with a VW one day , not sure what he was doin but he managed to get some metal off the car stuck in his hand. It's still there .. the car was blue by the looks of it. LOL

sheepz89

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 Holden VY II SS
Don't get used to using a whole 5L of oil for a change over... my ex gf's old exel - needed more oil... so we stopped in at the servo and filled it up with 5L of oil - didn't realise it till her exhaust pipe started ****ing out smoke... then realised what i did lol... also, never pull on the centre lead on a VL commodore on the dizzy cap if the lead wont come off... it tends to snap right off... and never disconnect your inlet pipe to your radiator and forget to tighen it up again... then realise steam coming from under the hood, pop the hood and immediatly release the cap while in like $400 suit - not a good outcome lol

Riggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Acclaim Sedan
when i had my vn, the power steering pump was stuffed so me and my mate went to the wreckers to get a new one, got it fitted and all was good we thought, went to test it down my street and then heard a loud rubbing noise, stopped and opened the bonnet, turns out we forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the pulley onto the pump and the fan belt was coming off and wearing itself out on the alternator's little fan things...