Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dump exhaust at diff??

vq~gangsta

Resident science geek
Reaction score
Website
www.mbs.adelaide.edu.au
Members Ride
VE 3.0 SIDI ex-cop
As long as you exhaust comes out behind the rear most opening window, it's not too loud, it clears the tyres by at least 30mm and you don't remove a catalytic converter, it should be legal.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Is it illegal to dump the exhaust at the diff??

I thought the law was, the exhaust must exit past the rear most opening window... Meaning dumping at diff = legal?

My exhaust rubber broke & dropped my exhaust on my diff and crimped it down to under 1" and its crackling real bad an running real ****.. I cant afford a new exhaust.....

Cheers
MaT

Check out the pdf linked by Bax. The short answer is nope. There are 2 reasons - You will be deleting 1 muffler which will mean your car is probably too loud plus the exhaust gasses could fill the boot area and in turn circulate into the passenger compartment giving you a nice sleepy feeling.

Reaper

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
As long as you exhaust comes out behind the rear most opening window, .

Nope. The vehicle standards pdf says no such thing. When are you guys going to research your posts before you hand out half arsed advise? It says that the outlet must be 40mm behind the rear most joint in the floor pan that is not continuously welded or permanently sealed. In the VN there are some vents in the boot which are not sealed and thus does not satisfy the "permanently sealed" requirement.

Reaper

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
You could always seal up the rear vents in the boot and then that might be o.k :yeah: :D

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
deilcious I believe.

Long story short, it looks like its illegal, but I'd call vic roads and ask them if you want to hear it right from the horses mouth, if not it looks like your off to the exhaust shop for a quick cash job. It shouldn't take them much to fix that section up. Really wouldn't cost much at all.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride