Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno tested 80rwkw

vz_sv6_owner1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS storm ute
Honestly I wouldn't even bother doing it in 4th and 5th mate cause your just gonna come up with the same readings as before. In 3rd for a manual is where the powerband is

naf33n

go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VU SS
so many things wrong right there..doing it in lower gears doesnt change the engines output, it just multiplies the power and torque by the ratio of the gear, this whole 'you must do it in 3rd' thing' is wrong.. its just going to give you a false reading, might as well do it in first.....

so if your in sydney you would be a wethrill park or st george??? i know for a fact wethrill parks dyno is way off

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Honestly I wouldn't even bother doing it in 4th and 5th mate cause your just gonna come up with the same readings as before. In 3rd for a manual is where the powerband is

My powerband is where the peak power and peak torque hit. Thats not a gear ratio, and my peak power at 5500rpm in 4th gear was at 190km/h, if i use 5th i will have to go faster. This dyno was very calculated, i dont know what most other dynos are like but i have to get into 4th, then hold at 1000rpm while it calibrated, then accelerate to specified speeds. It actually took a lot to get over 1000rpm because the dyno was made for a diesel that hits peak torque just over that. Even the fan that cools the radiator is too high, made for a truck.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
Lol this thread is comedy gold. What are they teaching apprentices these days?

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Lol this thread is comedy gold. What are they teaching apprentices these days?

What they are teaching, and what the students are remembering are two totally different things... ;)

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
so many things wrong right there..doing it in lower gears doesnt change the engines output, it just multiplies the power and torque by the ratio of the gear, this whole 'you must do it in 3rd' thing' is wrong.. its just going to give you a false reading, might as well do it in first.....

so if your in sydney you would be a wethrill park or st george??? i know for a fact wethrill parks dyno is way off

Just remember it is for testing trucks by using the dyno brake to get a loaded reading so um it's really up too the teacher aswell how much they load up the dyno. Ran my car on there a few years ago. was pretty spot on the mark by subtracting the percentage of the flywheel kw the get an idea on the rwkw and hey presto there you go.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
Reading this thread is exactly why I dont take my car to workshops to let apprentices who think they know everything work on it.
Heres an idea. Want a true dyno readout? How about go to a proper place that does Dynos professionally, let THEM run your car on it and see what reading you get. If your gonna go about running the car yourself, at a tafe dyno, or on a dyno thats meant for trucks, then dont whinge when you get all sorts of false readings.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
Dont post looking for an argument, i started this thread to get ideas why the dyno was so far off or my car was gutless. And now i realise its was the wrong gear, The dyno is rated for many power ranges as a truck can have 100hp or 700hp, such a 'smart' person like yourself should have known this.

The dyno was being run by tafe teachers who have used that dyno many times before, i had nothing to do with the controls.

I was going to have it dyno tuned in a couple of weeks, i only cared what this dyno showed because it would be a waste of money to tune the car if its not performing.

Last edited:

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Dont post looking for an argument, i started this thread to get ideas why the dyno was so far off or my car was gutless. And now i realise its was the wrong gear, The dyno is rated for many power ranges as a truck can have 100hp or 700hp, such a 'smart' person like yourself should have known this.

The dyno was being run by tafe teachers who have used that dyno many times before, i had nothing to do with the controls.

I was going to have it dyno tuned in a couple of weeks, i only cared what this dyno showed because it would be a waste of money to tune the car if its not performing.

Just wondering if the teachers got you to do a calculation to figure out your rwkw. If so what was it supposed to be? Don't worry about all the other guys saying your stupid your an apprentice for a reason ( to learn ) that's what the 4 years are for. All the people who've read magazines or heard from a mate think they know it all mate so don't take it too heart.

CRUSTIN

P-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S 175 Ute
All calculations are done automatically by computer. The dyno also measures driveline drag to calculate engine flywheel kw.

And thank you for backing me up. I will admit openly im only 18 and dont have much experience except for busses, doesnt mean im slow.