Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E39540i

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Not happy, broke a stud now have to wait for more parts

How in the world did you manage that?

Those valve covers have come out, Um... Rather rough looking. Were you not doing a smooth gloss black?

Cheers

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
Hozy, my superior strength and stupidity. The paint didn't come out as good as hoped, If I had my time over again, I would get them bead blasted, but I am out of time, it needs to get going now so I can sell my turbo.

I did 4 coats of paint stripper and between that and the rough castings, I agree, they could be better

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
Hozy, my superior strength and stupidity. The paint didn't come out as good as hoped, If I had my time over again, I would get them bead blasted, but I am out of time, it needs to get going now so I can sell my turbo.

I did 4 coats of paint stripper and between that and the rough castings, I agree, they could be better

Sanding is the key, Mine were baby smooth before I wrinkle blacked them as I wanted a super even wrinkle.

So which stud did you break?

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
I broke the passenger side top at the window end. I have ordered parts through a dealer, will be in tomorrow. I have done the drivers side so only the passenger to go. Hozy, room is tight on the passenger side did you put the gasket on first , then the cover or did you put them in together.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I broke the passenger side top at the window end. I have ordered parts through a dealer, will be in tomorrow. I have done the drivers side so only the passenger to go. Hozy, room is tight on the passenger side did you put the gasket on first , then the cover or did you put them in together.

Fit the gasket to the cover, & put some ultra black on the half moons at the back & on the joins between timing cover & head.

Cheers
Mat

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
It is back up and running, had to do it twice as the seal flipped on me on both sides, will have pics tomorrow. Now i just need some number plate holders, as i dont want to drill holes in them, any ideas?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
autobarn sell plate holders to suit euro cars

50LTRv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V8 Calais
autobarn sell plate holders to suit euro cars

I looked at supercrap today, the only ones they had were ones that have 4 screws in the corners. The back of the 540 has 2 screws across the middle of the plate.

yZoH

Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I looked at supercrap today, the only ones they had were ones that have 4 screws in the corners. The back of the 540 has 2 screws across the middle of the plate.

He said Autobarn.