Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

economy figures in vs 8's

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Too many big words for me to understand,i'll stick with what i've seen with my own eyes

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Too many big words for me to understand,i'll stick with what i've seen with my own eyes

Personal experience is valuable, but such a limited resource from which to make undisputable theories.
unfortunately you cant see much when your head is stuck in the sand.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Im always open to suggestion and the way your putting it does make it sound feasible, im going by exactly what ive seen in my own personal cars, unless they had slipping transmissions, screwed tacho's or different diff gears im still sticking with my theory.

If the v6 and v8 t5 manuals revved at exactly 1800rpm like dan said and share a differant final drive ratio how can the crank possibly be spinning at the same speed? in the autos where the final drive is identical ive noted my claims and thats why i believe im right. There cant be any way possible i got 5 vn v6/v8's with inaccurate tacho's..

seeing as you are open to suggestions, i'll type it again. both the V6 and V8 vehicles equiped with the T5 trans have the same final drive ratio. and as others have stated the same rpms at 100km/h (1800rpm, 0.72:1 5th gear and 3.08 diff ratio's).

i have attached a simple spread sheet that shows the final drive ratio's for a T5 equiped car with 3.08 diff ratio and fitted with 17" wheels. in the last 2 columns i've added the OD ratio for the 4l60 auto box (0.70) and the speed difference between the T5 final ratio and 4l60 final ratio.

you will note that 100km/h@1800rpm is about the same as 110km/h@2000rpm (i.e. increase in RPM = increase in road speed)

the only other variance to allow for possibly is different characteristics of the stall converters fitted to the transmissions. if the V6 converter is "looser" then the V8 model then i would expect to see a slight increase in RPM for the V6, however i don't think the stall speed of the V6 converter is higher then the V8. i could be wrong.

Attachments

• speeds.doc
    32 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
edit: double post

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Personal experience is valuable, but such a limited resource from which to make undisputable theories.
unfortunately you cant see much when your head is stuck in the sand.

And you wont learn by looking at and believing books all your life,things need to be experienced to be learned properly

redvs2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor charged Vs, VY ss ute, rodeo daily
I was in my mates ve sv6 today on the highway. at 110 it was at 1900 rpm. thats with the 6 speed manul. we put on the cruise and got the readout down to 7.9L/100km

I agree with Commsirac and Immortality. It doesn't matter how big your legs are u still have to make the same number of rotations of the pedals to make the same speed... The thing is tho that the v8's have more torque therefore would be able to take a higher gear ratio. that would then lower their revs to speed ratio. Whether the v8's come with different gear ratios than the 6's i have no idea. but from memory i think some of u have said in this thread that they have the same gear ratios... so that wud mean... same rpm/speed ratios but just a surplus 2 cylinders chewing extra fuel but making it oh so much more fun and noisy :D