Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec fuel economy

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
YV II Acclaim, non daily.
What kind of fuel economy do these cars get on highway cruising?

I know its about 600km in the city but what are the real world figures on a continuous run ?

(thinking of driving across the country and cant help but want to do some maths)

Blazed1101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
My Vy v6 drove from north Sydney to south Brisbane on a tank of 95, without being too light on the throttle

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
So thats about 900Km per tank?

Thats really not bad at all!

batemada

Reaction score
Wellington, New Zealand (Yes i know yet another KI
Members Ride
2009 Gold Calais V Sportwagon
The best i ever did in my old VY S2 Exec V6 was about 1100kms using cruse most of the way and only me in the car, have yet to test my S1 berlina to see what i can get from a tank.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
On a recent trip of about 1200km my VY averaged 7.6l/100km that's with about 100km of city driving included in that, 3 adults and luggage in the car and aircon going. The best I have seem on a trip is about 7.5 l/100km. It can easily get from Sydney to just before Melbourne where as my VN was running on fumes by about Wodonga.

Greasy Hands

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow!

Does having the AC on the whole time make much difference ? It's F-ing hot in the middle of AU and not really an option without it.

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Taking my mother inlaw to the air port last week my vy got 8.3ltr per 100 just on the free way to the city.. Around town gets 600ks per full tank

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I wonder if people stating figures like 8.3 / 100 are reading the trip computer or working it out by the kms traveled / fuel actually used?

I ask as my 6L says on the trip computer that it is averaging 9.5L/100Km when in fact it is 11.3l/100Km when I work out how much fuel has actually been used v's how many Kms I have traveled, formula to work it out is this:

L used divided by Kms traveled multiplied by 100 = 'milage' - so 46.2L / 500 = .0924 x 100 = 9.24L per 100Km

Write down your ODO reading when you fill the tank

at next fill, again write down your ODO reading

Subtract the first reading from the second reading to see how many Kms you drove

use the literage from your fuel receipt to make the calculation.

I use an app called Road Trip to keep tabs on my fuel usage and $'s spent on fuel etc. Its a good way of early diagnosis of a problem, if the fuel use has increased without a valid reason, time to look for the problem.

The figures will not be accurate unless you completely fill the tank each time you refuel. Fill to the first click, dont try to squeeze a little more in each time it clicks as a couple of litres extra at a fill can sway your calculations, you need to fill to the same point each time to keep it accurate as possible.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
to Loaded.
with regard to the old VS atleast you have the ODO that you can reset each time you fill up. (which isnt in the newer models unfortunately)
personally i find that the best way to get the economy.

and as with filling it right up full from empty.
i know from experience (this is normally every 2/3 days having to fill it up because of travelling so much) that once it goes click once, i can put 4L more into it (also going by the guage i can judge it pretty close to how much id be needing anyway, and that gives a good rough estimate for L's itll take)
and every time i always get around the same results, give or take under .5L per 100km.
i guess it does depend on how often you do this to get in with how the car reacts to when you fill it up and so forth

but yes, you are right as to filling it to the same point (give or take under half a L to make calcs easy with whole numbers), which i guess i have just explained again :p

as for my fuel eco. i dont have a trip comp so i cant go off that.
however it used to be 8/100 and that was working it out kms to L's filled up.
now it used 9L/100 which is city driving, country driving, driving it easy, giving it a bit of stick. it doesnt change no matter how its driven :p

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
to Loaded.
with regard to the old VS atleast you have the ODO that you can reset each time you fill up. (which isnt in the newer models unfortunately)

Not sure what you mean by this, the resettable bit is the trip counter, not the ODO - the ODO cant be reset, thats the Kms your car has done. AFIK all cars have an ODO and a resettable trip counter.

The reason I go off the ODO and not the trip counter is because I found that I often forgot to the the numbers when going off the trip counter, or forgot to reset it, whereas going off the ODO just became habit to make sure I did it, also in the VE the ODO comes up on the display when you open the door, if I dont write it down then I have to scroll through the trip computer to find which I CBF.

We have a VS too, not sure what economy it gets as the Mrs drives it, I'll keep an eye on it and get back to you.