Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Information

HiluxV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux 3.8ecotech
Hey All,

Just after any help i can get with this issue, i currently have the ecotec 3.8vt engine conversion in my Hilux ln106r 4x4, i am only getting about 200kms per tank, i have read on previous posts things that can cause this issue and so far i have changed:

plugs and leads
Oxy sensors (which fixed the stalling issue i had)
cleaned airflow sensor
polished inlet manifold and throttle body

are there any other components i should be looking at in order to increase my fuel economy, im driving it round town and changing gears at 3000rpm not planting my foot.

the engine seems to be good plenty of power, only 120,000kms on the engine, although i am running 33" tyres which will decrease the fuel economy but not to that extent.

Appreciate any help

Cheers

2011-05-29152923.jpg

jughead1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Executive
What size tank?

Pretty good economy from a 20 lt tank, pretty bad from an 80 lt tank.

Would be more helpful if you gave lt per 100 kms (or even kms per lt).

Cheers.

HiluxV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux 3.8ecotech
its a 65L tank

Kilometres driven: 250 Km
Litres of Fuel used over distance travelled: 65L

Consumption in Litres per 100 Kilometres: 26 L/100Km
Consumption in Kilometres per Litre: 3.85 Km/L

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
Hmm, what kind of driving are you doing? City?

Cause I get around 12L/100km. Mixed. I get about 15L/100km in the city, bit over that with the air con on.
Add to that shifting at 3000rpm you said, plus you're raised high enough to drive over my car. I don't know I think you'd be just about there.

I go for a trip to the beach or something, drive a few hundred kms on the freeway, see if your fuel economy picks up at all, if not - then you've got a problem somewhere.

EDIT: What fuel are you running in it? Maybe it would be worth tuning it again.

Last edited:

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Check the sender unit in the tank.
Do you run the tank empty not that any one should and get 200k.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
not sure if this helps at all but my brother inlaw has a prado with the same tyres you have on he gets 24L per 100km/h, been everywhere to have it serviced, everyone said it was the tyres, put stock ones on for shits and giggles to see and got better milage

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Is your odo calibrated to that size wheel? If the wheels bigger than its calibrated to you'll be going further than the odo says.

What Rpm are you doing at 100k? Even my vs ecotec was doing under 2 at 100k

9C1pack

Reaction score
Yeah check your speedo accuracy, compare it to a GPS or an iphone/smartphone.
I have heard that most 4x4 conversions, while they give you more power, they end up as fuel gobblers because the diff ratios are wrong for the lower reving V6/V8 etc.
As mentioned by m1lky, an ecotec is usually 2000 rpm at 100kmh, wheras the original 4 would be doing quite a bit more.

HiluxV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux 3.8ecotech
Cheers for all the replies, i have changed the tyres over to standard size and i get about 20kms extra, im driving all round, freeway driving i can get about 300kms to a tank, to work and back i get about 250, 270 with standard tyres.

At 100kms my revs are about 2900 with my diff gears, so it is a lot higher then normal,but i thought i would get a bit more then this ?

may have to get a tune, my speedo is out with running the 33" tyres so this is also i factor in terms of the KMS the odometer is recording which i will fix. But even with the correct tyres the odometer is recording about 20kms extra.

thanks guys

btw anyone know a good place in melbourne for tunning?