Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec mains girdle

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
I was talking to my local engine machinist the other day about getting a line hone done when I rebuild my motor with the mace mains girdle.

He expressed some concern around getting a good result given one process is performed on the two different metals at the same time.

His concern was that as the line hone runs through the main tunnel, it can favor the softer, easier to cut through aluminium. Resulting in the line hone walking off center and into the girdle.

I don't know what my question here should be... But if mace or anyone has any info, I'm all ears.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The mains girdle doesn't replace the original mains caps, it just ties them all together.

Image_GIR602_A.png

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Now see I read the part about it tieing them all together... But I've only just realised it just sits on top of the caps.
So what machining is required?

I guess that explains why it doesn't cost $3,500. I wasn't going to say anything, but all the integrated mains girdles ive seen are considerably expensive. I missed the part about it not being integrated main caps.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What sort of power are you after, this is for big power outputs. Not sure on the machining side, never fitted one.

MACE

Reaction score
I was talking to my local engine machinist the other day about getting a line hone done when I rebuild my motor with the mace mains girdle.

He expressed some concern around getting a good result given one process is performed on the two different metals at the same time.

His concern was that as the line hone runs through the main tunnel, it can favor the softer, easier to cut through aluminium. Resulting in the line hone walking off center and into the girdle.

I don't know what my question here should be... But if mace or anyone has any info, I'm all ears.
Hi @Draimond,

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you

Great question.

Basically, factory main caps are still used, so this won't be an issue, as the girdle is installed on top of the factory main caps.

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
Guys who built my diff said anything over 400kw would be a dice roll.

I want around 180 to 220kw on E10 as a daily drive tune.

Track days, depending on how lucky I'm feeling on the day, 350kw+ on E85.

I'm pretty sold on the benifits Mace has detailed on this products' page. It's pretty cheap too.

Convince me it's money better spent elsewhere if you want, my engine components budget is all headed to Mace anyway.