Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
when properly maintained the ecotec dont leak either. Personally iv only owned 2 ecotecs. With regular servicing and replacing of seals they didnt leak. My father once owned a VT-S, he owned it since new till 150,000kms on it. Didnt leak a drop

all im saying is you shouldnt have to be replacing seals on a vy ecotec that was maximum 3 years at that stage, my vz is now 3 years old and the aluminum block and box still look brand new,

ive serviced heaps of ecotecs of various ages and i cant say ive ssen one yet that hasnt not got a leak or a weep

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I voted Alloytec. I drive a Ecotec. But i believe the 190-195 to be a better engine and much more advanced. The base engine is a take it or leave it not as impressive. On the down side the alloytec isn't as easy to work on - nor does it have a massive list of parts for upgrades go fast bits.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
Ecotec is a much more reliable engine as its simple and basic and better on gas but louder and no wear near as smooth as the new holden v6,being not full alloy etc and easier to work on,cheaper to fix and will last alot longer...

Have a vt 3.8 and sv6 190 vz both are good reliable cars,voted alloytec as it really responsive and has the guts as it should have with double overhead camshafts, aluminium block and heads & variable cam cam phasing on exhaust as well as inlet camshafts 190kW @ 6500 rpm with the larger inlet.

The ALLOYTEC 190 makes 90% peak torque 1600 rpm to 5900 rpm.

Last edited:

fadz

Reaction score
I voted Alloytec. I drive a Ecotec. But i believe the 190-195 to be a better engine and much more advanced. The base engine is a take it or leave it not as impressive. On the down side the alloytec isn't as easy to work on - nor does it have a massive list of parts for upgrades go fast bits.

Wrong the list of upgrade parts just keep growing, not to mention workshops doing mafless and maff tunes etc... picking up alot of power across the whole rev range and even better economy.
Things like a otr and tune gets you very very good power, its all in the technology, think back when the vr/vs '185' hsv 304 was the ****...

VXdarkmagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
personally i've only ever owned ecotech so that makes me a bit biased, however a mate from work has a new sv6 vz and it's not anywhere near as gutsy as my ride...however his ride is very stock, no performance parts on his engine at all....and I like that the ecotech is louder ;)

Adam33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
RB25/26 no contest.

BRG_38L

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 vp 3.8L M5 LSD
RB25/26 no contest.

i dont believe that this site is "just skylines" ??? we are talking about the humble v6 and the pro's and con's for each....personally i agree but i believe ur a little off topic ..