Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec or alloytec

ecotec or alloytec

• Total voters

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My missus drove a VE Omega and said it was a slug. It has the same 4L60e box as the ecotec, makes the similar power to your 190 alloytec (180kw/330Nm torque). She said she didn't have the confidence to nail it at an intersection to try and get a gap like she could in her own car. Funny isn't it.

Admittedly, her VS goes a lot better than stock. I drove VX L67 (standard supercharged engine) recently and it wasn't any faster than her VS.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
My missus drove a VE Omega and said it was a slug. It has the same 4L60e box as the ecotec, makes the similar power to your 190 alloytec (180kw/330Nm torque). She said she didn't have the confidence to nail it at an intersection to try and get a gap like she could in her own car. Funny isn't it.

Admittedly, her VS goes a lot better than stock. I drove VX L67 (standard supercharged engine) recently and it wasn't any faster than her VS.

I drove an VZ Acclaim just before I bought the SV6 and it wasn't the best down mainly to the 4 speed auto , but the VE omegas which while still a 4 speed is a bit better than it was , but still missing a ratio or two I think . Personally , I think the Alloytecs , should never have been mated to the 4L60 E , they are better matched to the Strasbourg 5 speed in the VZ SV 6 , and Statesman range , and 6 speed auto's that are in the VE SV6 models , this is down in part to the active shift feature , which is fun on a twisty windy road .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I think immortality and 665 make a good point about the width of gears on the 4L, the Eco's torque makes better use then the Alloytec because it's lower down. Even boosted second gear can be my Achilles heel, from around 50kmh when first becomes pointless it wallows like a wind up toy til it picks up, whereas if I can use first for pickup it's weaponised, lurching up to 75, or kicking back to second at 80 or so.

That's why I'm going a 3.9. I would imagine an Alloytec needs its tits revved to go anywhere.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Ive only driven one alloytech and it **** all over any ecotec ive ever driven instant torque and plenty of overtaking power

Sent from my C8660 using Tapatalk 2

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Ive only driven one alloytech and it **** all over any ecotec ive ever driven instant torque and plenty of overtaking power

That's what I think as well , every one got different opinions on them , my only gripe is that they are not as easy to work on as the ecotec .

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Was auto 4 speed i think not up on the alloytec knowledge lol was a damn nice car to drive

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Interesting. I've been in (but never driven) a mates VZ Alloy with 4L and while I'd say maybe it's quicker than my Eco was pre boost we'd be talking a bees peen, had mega wallow. 75k on the odo and always maintained, it wasn't a POS.

We had a 5L in the work VE and that seemed a tonne better.

Maybe Holden just sucked at consistency, lol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Unless it was a povo pack omega or ute it would probably have a 5 speed auto.

The thing is, the alloytec makes it's peak power a lot earlier than the ecotec (2800rpm Vs 3600rpm) due to that fancy intake manifold so in theory it should be a much livelier engine, yet in practice it doesn't seem to be when coupled to the same transmission as the ecotec.

The biggest improvement Holden made was the 5 and 6 speed transmissions coupled to the new engines.

I'm not saying the alloytec isn't a good engine, however for all the technology it has over the ecotec it wasn't the big step up that I would have expected it to be. And then you need to careful buying 2nd hand as the earlier alloytec engines do have issues with the timing chains stretching which is a very costly exercise if they do need to be replaced. I still think it was a mistake to loose the extra displacement the ecotec had.