Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Ecotec Pistons/rings problem

CRZYVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hey guys, hope everyone is well. Im currently rebuilding my ecotec in my 2002 VY, and ive got a new set of rings, all the new rings are the same, except the oil expander, its nearly twice the thickness. The shop ive brought all my bits from assures me they are the correct ones, and all the numbers match up to the listing. Is there 2 different types of l37 pistons? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers Daniel

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
This may help

p2.JPG
p1.JPG
p3.JPG

CRZYVN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
When you say thicker, I take it that you mean that it will not fit into the ring grove, as it is to high for the ring grove?????

Or is it when you put the expander rind in its grove it to big and sticks out a fair way????

If it does not physically fit i the ring grove on the piston you have the wrong ring set, can you measure all the ring groves and post the measurements?

If it does fit the ring grove and has a fair bit of protrusion out of the ring grove, that is normal and will compress properly when you use a piston ring compressor.

art.jpg

Pcracing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt spac twincharged
I think the l67 has different oil rings to the na ecotec, maby you have the l67 set

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
I think the l67 has different oil rings to the na ecotec, maby you have the l67 set

I wouldn't think so. Perhaps the ringset Daniel has, is for a Pre-Ecotec ie VN-VR 3.8L V6 ?