Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec sump filling with coolant...

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Hell of a way to find out a tool is faulty :( but at least you know what happened.....much better than the shoulder shrug with a touch of suck it and see :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well at least it's not something more major, so it's cost you 2 sets of gaskets, some time and maybe some hair follicles, better than a full rebuilt :)

You should be able to get your wrench re-calibrated.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
That sucks.
Anyway good to see u got it sorted hope all goes well now.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I've re used Cometics on my own car with no issue. may be a saving for ya there. Drill the rivets and after lots of thinners to remove the viton, spray with copper spray layer by layer and place them onto the block as you go

I'd never do it for a customer but on my own has been sweet 4 or 5 times lol

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
I've re used Cometics on my own car with no issue. may be a saving for ya there. Drill the rivets and after lots of thinners to remove the viton, spray with copper spray layer by layer and place them onto the block as you go

I'd never do it for a customer but on my own has been sweet 4 or 5 times lol

Problem is, this whole exercise was because the Cometics were leaking. I didnt deck the block when i built the motor. The finish is no good. I can only run composite.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you use the same torque wrench originally with the cometics as last time with the composite gaskets? Maybe they too were never torqued up correctly?

Give the cometics a good coating with the copper spray and use a good torque wrench and it will probably be fine.

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Problem is, this whole exercise was because the Cometics were leaking. I didnt deck the block when i built the motor. The finish is no good. I can only run composite.

That's a bummer to hear :(

Did you use copper cpray with the gaskets? I've fitted heaps to stock heads and blocks as well as all kinds of grade finishes and never had an issue. Either lucky or Copper spray helped a lot lol.

That head gasket pop in the pic could also be a fuel or spark issue uncovering stuff too possibly. May be a good idea to flow the injectors just to be sure

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you use the same torque wrench originally with the cometics as last time with the composite gaskets? Maybe they too were never torqued up correctly?

Give the cometics a good coating with the copper spray and use a good torque wrench and it will probably be fine.

No i used my original wrench, but i lent it to someone and it came back effed...

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a bummer to hear :(

Did you use copper cpray with the gaskets? I've fitted heaps to stock heads and blocks as well as all kinds of grade finishes and never had an issue. Either lucky or Copper spray helped a lot lol.

That head gasket pop in the pic could also be a fuel or spark issue uncovering stuff too possibly. May be a good idea to flow the injectors just to be sure

Yep, seperated layers and copper sprayed. They leaked coolant as soon as i started the engine at idle lol.

This new head gasket popped because the studs were only 40ftlbs lol.