Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec Swap running off VR ECU

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
also I have seen a bunch of people saying that yes it will need to have memcal or dyno tune
Can you take the memcal out of the car that you took the engine out of? If so, just swap them (memcal) I would assume that they are compatible?

Try @The1 he's from this siye & pcm hacking.

He also has a web site, so that maybe the best way to contact him? https://eyeit.org

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
My ecotec VR is still running awesome for many years ( is currently out on loan). We did have the stock memcal in for a bit after the conversion and it ran great, but it runs better with the greenfoam memcal that was originally programmed for the stock VR buick engine.
I would say my ecotec VR greenfoam runs the same or better than my daily VS ecotec with ChipTorque.
I was hoping you’d reply to be honest aha, your thread on this conversion definitely helped make my mind up on how to do it. So I’ve been reading a lot of conflicting information it seems… I’m hearing it does need a tune and I’m also hearing it should run plug and play. I think I might have found a slight vacuum leak though and plugged it up with some jb weld hopefully that was the problem.

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
Can you take the memcal out of the car that you took the engine out of? If so, just swap them (memcal) I would assume that they are compatible?

He also has a web site, so that maybe the best way to contact him? https://eyeit.org
Well the motor came out of a VX, I’ll give that a go if it isn’t this suspected vacuum leak

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

VS and later memcal will not fit VR ECU.

VX did not have memcal, tune is stored on flash memory in ECU.

Reactions: Lex

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
VS and later memcal will not fit VR ECU.

VX did not have memcal, tune is stored on flash memory in ECU.
Yeah I thought that might be the case aswell, I’ll update you guys once this jb weld dries

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
@woteva how did you go about fitting the charcoal canister I’m having a bit of trouble finding the best spot for vacuum lines. I suppose my eco is from a vx, and didn’t run one where as the vs did

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I was lucky as I had a whole VS and was able to see where it went and adapt.
Can check my VS here tomorrow before I go to work.

¡Parto!

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive S2
Yeah that would be much appreciated. Gotta work with what you got sometimes there’s a few more dot points to add when you think your finished *facepalm*

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
The VX had a EGR setup which the VR and even the vs didnt have.