Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ecotec v6 stroker???? 4.2..

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
whats the benefits of the extra 3k for the stroker over the already 5k of the cam and rockers. if u read my other forum u'll see what i've done and i got 155rwkw. what added hp can be gained from running a stroker kit in it? i dont think there is anyone within 10 digits of my area code that have one.. would'nt a supercharger be alot more bang for ya buck? i mean even having a car modified the slightest bit while on your p plates in victoria is illegal so why not do somthing worth it? not having a go at people that are PRO stroker but i'm just not seeing the point with them. i'd like to kno what difference it makes from people who HAVE ACTUALY had it done.. not just people that think they know i have 2 friends looking for a stroker kit for the old v6 buik.. let me know

thats the typical train of thought for most people who don't really understand strokers. like hakhawk said, hp isn't everything, the way to make a fast engine is to have lots of torque (thus why big V8's have always been popular).
the more displacement you've got the more torque you'll create - it's simple stuff.

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
i agree these storker kits are an excellent idea. ive also noticed a chain correct me if im wrong please but the more capacity in the engine the momre feel from most say "bolt on" mods IE Hi-flow cats or CAI. 155 from an ecotec is not that big. a guy from one of my cruising clubs has a 4.2 stroker but he also spent 20,000 bux rebuilding his engine and the hole idea started from him wanting a new electric antenna lol.

shwarno like the last 2 guys sed HP isnt everything in fact when you think bout it its not really anything. if you have 155rwkw with 320Nm u'll be smashed by that liettle charade with 110kw and 400Nm of torque basic physics Nm is the amount of pull the more pull the more force of gravity you create in your engine and the harder it runs. one thing i learnt you can have the HP but if it doesnt pull your ****ed

sway9

The Rejectz Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT, Mazda 3 SP23, Hyundai Getz 1.4ltr
agreed j man. sorta just gives the impression their egging ppl on aye

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
If you're on your P's and have a few grand to spend, a stroker kit is the perfect mod! Get headwork done and a nice streetable cam and you'll have a heap of grunt. When you get pulled over, it looks lke a stocker!

Rick @ Pro-Stroke did a stroker kit in his Stato. Looked like a stocker in the engine bay, but when we went for a drive it pulled harder than a L67 with minimal mods. It was built with a pretty much standard cam and exhaust when I went in it. With headwork, a nice cam and matching exhaust it will go pretty damn hard!

My stroker kit is awesome! Although I can't compare it to a 3.8 with the sme mods as no-one has the same mods. But just from the sound and off boost torque you can tell it's not a 3.8.:yeah:

holdenhero

Car idiot
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT
I've had the COME racing stroker kit job done on my VT 3.8L, its now a 4.2L and its unlike any other commodore. Notibly my cars pretty much been worked in every aspect it can but I'd definately recommend the stroker kit for someone that was looking for a power increase, however it is expencive and you really need to consider what has been done to the car, how much your willing to spend, wether your willing to go the whole way or are you going to give up for a V8, etc etc

eFeX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon acclaim 3.8
Actually you have it around the wrong way. The Chev is a 4.3L and is totally unrelated to the Buick V6. Dale Bickham’s stroker V6 isn’t a Chev either.

The old 4.1L Buick’s were only offered in the 80’s. They stopped when Buick went for the then new 3800’s (which were eventually fitted to our VN’s and later). There was never a 4.1L derivative of the V6 found in the commodores, and there wasn’t a turbo version either. There was a supercharged version though, but we only ever got any of the Supercharged versions in our VS and later models. The old turbo Buick’s also died in the late 80’s. Grand National’s were the last factory turbo Buick V6’s and they ended in 1987 (or 1989 for the Turbo Trans Am.) You simply can’t get 4.1’s in Australia either, unless it’s an old 80’s model.

The new strokers from COME are supposed to be for the ECOTEC engines. But I’ve heard from people who have heard from other people (you know how it goes) that COME are looking into a kit for the VN-VR V6’s too. Bickham’s stroker isn’t a COME stroker by the way. It uses a bradey crank which has been out for a few years.

Well this is just a few facts a mate who happens to be an absolute guru when it comes to v6s offered me. Hopefully this has helped clear up a few things, and taught you something new as it has 4 me. :)

Does anyone know IF the Yanks 4.1Ltr or other, cranks; will work/fit into,,, any of our Buick 3.8 V6 engines ?

happy 2018 all.

regards, eFeX.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Does anyone know IF the Yanks 4.1Ltr or other, cranks; will work/fit into,,, any of our Buick 3.8 V6 engines ?

Highly doubt it, I don't believe anybody here has done it.

Last edited:

Simz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP commodore
There was a guy down in Myrtle Bank SA doing these 4.3 stroker cranks 15yrs ago!!! (mite have 2 look him up 2 see if his still around.?) ...Buick kits were less than $2k too, lot less than wot C.O.M.E be chargen u now! Rip off cuntz ya only payin thru the nose 4 the name!!!