Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotech / Throttle body

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
Has anyone have an aftermarket throttle body in there V6? Where do you get them? How much? What power gain? Or are you better off getting original throttle bodies bored out? appreciate feedback - cheers.

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
They will cost around the $300 mark, they will make the throttle more responsive and it should improve fuel economy.

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
They will cost around the $300 mark, they will make the throttle more responsive and it should improve fuel economy.

Cheers - where do you get them from? What size ect? Are they ok to use with automatic trans?

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
there fine for the automatic.
the size will depend on how much more power you want but it eventually gets to little gain the bigger you go with a stock engine. also the size will determine $$$$$

dont know your location but a performance shop usually has them.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
2Fast2FuriousDude said:
dont know how it would improve fuel economy.
i am pretty sure it will make use more fuel coz of power gain.

but hey i could be wrong

ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exectutive
DeanoVT said:
there fine for the automatic.
the size will depend on how much more power you want but it eventually gets to little gain the bigger you go with a stock engine. also the size will determine $$$$$

dont know your location but a performance shop usually has them.

thanks for the feedback - I live in Hervey Bay QLD - there is not much around as far as performacne shops go. The brock shop doesn't have any on the website, nor does SS inductions sell them for Automatics - not sure where I'll chase one up - I'll look into it.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
ecotec said:
Has anyone have an aftermarket throttle body in there V6? Where do you get them? How much? What power gain? Or are you better off getting original throttle bodies bored out? appreciate feedback - cheers.

Have one in mine.
Better response defiantly, not sure about economy difference. You use less throttle to get going under normal driving conditions , but sucks through more air at full throttle. The ecotecs use MAF so i guess more air through it = more fuel, under full throttle circumstances anyway.
Don't know if it has anymore power, but if it is more responsive, it will fool you into believing you have more power.
I reckon it feels better to drive compared to the standard one, but mine is a manual so you get a lot more feel of the power compared to an auto.
I think the largest you can get is 69mm, unless you know someone who can modify one larger than that.

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
ecotec said:
thanks for the feedback - I live in Hervey Bay QLD - there is not much around as far as performacne shops go. The brock shop doesn't have any on the website, nor does SS inductions sell them for Automatics - not sure where I'll chase one up - I'll look into it.

you could always order it from a place and have it mail delivered.
places like Starr Performance - VIC, APC(Australian Performance Center - WA) and D&T Performance - SA should have them. give em a call and see what they say and what they can do.

V

VtBerlina_3800

i have one on my vt it is bored to 69mm i got it from a guy in melbourne. he sells them for $230 or $180 exchange. his number is 0405 215 336 just ask about them im pretty sure he posts.

V

VtBerlina_3800

Oh and you get heaps better responce when u put your foot down the accelerator is alot touchier. in my car i have a hsv chip ss induction cold air intake and the bored throttle bosy and i dragged at vt 5.0ltr and beat him. so gives it a fair bit more power. you will definately feel it.