Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eCrate Motors

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
There is a lot to like about hydrogen. A lot better economy, more power, no emissions and no shortage of hydrogen. On the down side it is in it's infancy for cars and competing with electric cars that are a lot further down the track plus at this stage a lot dearer than petrol.
However it is well worth keeping an eye on those car companies who are developing them. They aren't doing it just for the hell of it.

There is not enough lithium on the planet to make enough batteries for electric cars. Electric cars are going to be a novelty for this reason also like I stated there is a power density limit.
Fuel cells have been around for 30 years hydrogen pumps are already in place here in Australia, CA in USA has heaps.
Toyota's hybrid synergy drive is now being used in other cars it allready dwarfs tesla in production numbers so if Toyota starts selling hydrogen fuel cell cars expect in ten years time for them to be as common as hybrid drives which are everywhere now.

If I was you I would invest in hydrogen production companies.

Unlike the Greta climate church I deal in facts. Solar and wind is not going to be useful even with batteries nuclear and geo thermal are the alternatives one has a bad by product and the other requires lot's of transmission loss.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Where I worked I used to maintain a Hydrogen production unit.
In summary, you need to use a reverse osmosis unit to make pure water and then end up splitting that into its 2 components.
The power required to actually convert De-Ionised or De-Minralised water into the 2 separate components of H2 and O2 is stupid crazy.
Let alone the hazards in the production from the chemicals used and the explosive properties. The fact it requires EEHA certifications for the equipment used to store it and monitor it?
We would have a constant 140amps across 3 phases just to produce about 15 cubic m of hydrogen an hour (the oxy was vented to atmosphere as they didn't need to produce any extra in the place).

If you want to produce that in mass amounts you either need a power plant and batteries to store the power if you do not want to burn fossil fuels to create a "green energy".
Then lets take into consideration the energy used to create the batteries and solar panels to charge them up. The processes to mine the products and everything else in between.
The sad reality is, there is no such thing as free energy (ie the Carnot engine principle). So to create the energy you need to burn extra energy from another source.

Oh did I mention that Hydrogen is also stupidly dangerous if items are not looked after correctly? (having been in the chemical and process industry and now moved into the power industry we would get alerts and so forth from explosions and so forth from plants around the world).
People whinge about mechanics nowadays charging too much.
Good luck when you find out the cost of all the Hazardous areas items used for H2 specific equipment.