Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] EF foulcan not running on petrol.

P plater

the immortal misguided one
Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Ford Falcon Futura wagon/ 1994 VR Exec wagon
Hey guys, I have finally got to the bottom of this cars hijixes, turns out it was bad connectors on the old loom, plus me accidentally putting the sender line onto the petrol line on the dash switch and level gauge, so the car now is officially a dual fuel falcon again, I'm really happy with the results and have learnt heaps about LPG wiring while I was at it, and also a big thank you to strgas and everyone who has contributed to the thread

Edit: I have discovered that it is running on petrol and gas at the same time, I believe that the timing relay has failed, could anyone elaborate more about how this little bugger works?

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Hey guys, I have finally got to the bottom of this cars hijixes, turns out it was bad connectors on the old loom, plus me accidentally putting the sender line onto the petrol line on the dash switch and level gauge, so the car now is officially a dual fuel falcon again, I'm really happy with the results and have learnt heaps about LPG wiring while I was at it, and also a big thank you to strgas and everyone who has contributed to the thread

Edit: I have discovered that it is running on petrol and gas at the same time, I believe that the timing relay has failed, could anyone elaborate more about how this little bugger works?

Not very well by the sound of things.:rofl2:

Over to strgas again.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
glad to hear you got to the bottom of the problem . the AEB 372 timing relay is used to control the injectors when switching from petrol to gas , the timing function is to give an overlap for smooth transition from petrol to gas and also a prime function when starting .
this relay has no emulation function purely switch on and off with adjustable time in between .

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey strgas, I decided to re do the under bonnet wiring and fitted a Apexus pg200-a1 switch, and the loom between the sensors and the gas computer, my injectors are running, and only need some more petrol to check out the petrol side, but I have high hopes for the falcon running on petrol and gas in the next few days
Also this happened to the old petrol pump, the installer wired it of the fuel pump relay
http://i1040.photobucket.com/albums/b405/nickjenkins43/DSC_0001_zps1gcyeosn.jpg

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
that's one sad looking pump and lucky it didn't go up in flames , seen this many times from dodgy conversion where they pinched timed power supply of the fuel pump wire in the right hand Most people go bye price alone and as long as they can fill up with gas that's all they cared about .
since the rebate has gone a lot of one man shows have closed shop now because the work has dropped off /

I would recommend the remaining modules mounted in the engine bay be checked to see if they are water proof as most aren't and should be installed inside the car not in the engine bay .

thanks for the pics more to add to my collection of dodgy conversions.

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay guys, got the big ol bird running on petrol and gas now, only really thing still bugging me is that it is putting a lot of black smoke out of the tail pipe (running too rich I know) and it is hunting and surging from 150-800 RPM, I'm thinking that it is burning all of the crap left in the tank or the lines too the injectors, my ideas are too put about half a tank of 98 though with the Wynn's fuel system cleaner and some octane booster, and take it for a good long run at highway speed and accelerate at about half throttle from say 70 to 100 a few times and it should improve, if not what would I be looking for to test?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
pull the vacuum line of the fuel pressure reg and see if the black smoke reduces .

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay guys, I put a good 20 litres of petrol in and took the car for a run through the hills and got the black smoke almost all gone, I did an experiment with the ISC and unplugged it and restarted the engine, a lot of the hunting and surging disappeared and almost was even but still slowly decayed into hunt, surge then stall, my ideas are as follows, clean out or replace the ISC, then check out if the base idle is too low, clean out the throttle body again and see what happens

P plater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey EYY, double checked that it doesn't run on both fuels at the same time, they don't, but I made a video of the falcons antics, hope this helps
EF falcon wagon running on petrol: http://youtu.be/38B3n5_Ajc8