Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EFI 5ltr to carby

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR caprice 5ltr, VK group 3 rep 5ltr
wanna turn a VN 5ltr motor into a carby motor. just wondering what is alll involved?? wat needs changing ect

lukieboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive 92
gotta ask why mate big job and ya end up looseing fuel econ???
but as far as i know you need to change the intake manifold and a heap of other things buddy

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
If changing a carby 5.0L into EFI means changing heads, intake, t/b and all that gear, plus computer and electrics, and electric fuel pump.....then I'd imagine to make an EFI donk run a carby, just change the heads, intake and add a carby, chuck a mechanical fuel pump on (or keep the electric, not sure if ur carby would have a return line coming out of it) and bobs ya uncle.....in theory anyways. Also don't forget the dizzy. Not sure how the EFI 5.0L works, if they don't run a dizzy then you'd prolly have to change ur cam over too so it has the gears on the back for the dizzy.

As long as she gets petrol and spark you'll be right....and it's only like 4 wires to wire up a carby motor anyways...well the Holden ones that is.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
The easiest thing to do would be to grab an old 308 and just drop that in, wouldn't it? Then you can sell the 304 for some good cash.

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
im running a 308 with a 286 cam atm, i need a motor rebuild and was thinking of goin to a VN 5ltr block and heads but running a carby on it.

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
gotta ask why mate big job and ya end up looseing fuel econ???
but as far as i know you need to change the intake manifold and a heap of other things buddy

not realy worryd about fuel economy its not a daily driver comes out maybe once or twice a month. i knew about the intake manifold and have a Edelbrock performer manifold already if it would fit. was goin to put it on the 308 before i found out my rings wher shot.

Is there much differance between a VN block and the black 308 block apart from heads? coz otherwise ill just get a rebuilt 308 and swap heads over and put my own cam in (288 solid hopefully)

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I'm pretty sure the blocks are the same. But best to compare them just in case

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Blocks are very similar, if not identical. I'd suggest just getting your 308 rebuilt :)

AndyVKSSA

Reaction score
Members Ride
oh ok kool, cheers guys.

Tas_HSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Clubsport
A local just done the carb conversion on his VS ute down here...your 308 manifold wont do,buy a manifold to suit VN heads,there are a few manufacturers who do manifolds,aftermarket electronic dizzy,and he changed the cam,not sure if for a bigger cam,or for the dizzy.Do it,its a lot easier to find a good VN/VR/VS 5.0 than an old 308....the last of the 308s are over 20 years old....plus if u get a VR/VS block its already clearanced for a stroker crank if you feel like letting those heads and unrestricted intake work for you....When I get another early girl she will be a carb 304....A mate has a VL,was running a VN 355 stroker,heads were cleaned up a little in the ports,unsure of cam specs,BG mighty demon carb,and was running consistent 10.6s on 15 inch slicks and a trimatic.