Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

EGR Valve

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
Hey All

I have an intermittent problem with what appears to be my EGR Valve in my 2003 VY Conmodore.

Got the EGR Valve replaced back in October 2022 and has all been fine since then until a few weeks ago.

Engine started to have the same symptoms that it had when the mechanic replaced the EGR Valve.

Popped the bonnet and there was a massive vacuum leak around the EGR Valve.

Only ran rough at idle.

Left it overnight to take it down to my mechanic again. Started it the next morning, and it ran perfectly for another week or two.

This morning it has started running VERY though at idle, with what seems to be a sucking noise around the WGR valve, and has managed to “fix itself” again and is running properly again.

This is a clip of what the EGR valve sounds like when running rough -

This is starting to get VERY annoying. I use the VY as a daily whilst the VF SS-V redline lives in the garage, and I am starting to not be able to trust going any long distances in it.

Thoughts?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey All

I have an intermittent problem with what appears to be my EGR Valve in my 2003 VY Conmodore.

Got the EGR Valve replaced back in October 2022 and has all been fine since then until a few weeks ago.

Engine started to have the same symptoms that it had when the mechanic replaced the EGR Valve.

Popped the bonnet and there was a massive vacuum leak around the EGR Valve.

Only ran rough at idle.

Left it overnight to take it down to my mechanic again. Started it the next morning, and it ran perfectly for another week or two.

This morning it has started running VERY though at idle, with what seems to be a sucking noise around the WGR valve, and has managed to “fix itself” again and is running properly again.

This is a clip of what the EGR valve sounds like when running rough -

This is starting to get VERY annoying. I use the VY as a daily whilst the VF SS-V redline lives in the garage, and I am starting to not be able to trust going any long distances in it.

Thoughts?
Have you confirmed its from leaking from the egr valve ?

Panda69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SS-V Redline
Have you confirmed its from leaking from the egr valve ?
Please forgive the late reply - been off line with COVID.

Yes, managed to get a NRMA Road Service fella out to it as it did it's misbehaving again.

He sprayed some spray onto the EGR Valve, which caused the engine to stall.

He thought it might of been a gasket.