Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical Apprenticeship wanted!

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Ha ha ha, youth, you won't enjoy it when you hit 40 and are crawling around in roofs, mate of mine lasted that long. Half the locomotive drivers I work with have trades, my offsides is a A-class sparkie, my last trainee was a Diesel Mechanic add on a few Boiler Makers and even 4 shearers.

Haha, hopefully i can get into commercial. I don't know ijust hope i can land anything asap!

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Cheers mate might give it a crack, also helps on the resume that i was recommended by teachers, great competency and fast worker ;) what can i say.. Haha

Only thing is i don't think powerlines etc is my thing, much prefer houses. Rather do a job i love vs a job i don't

If you apply for the Power Technician position, you will go through TAFE doing an Electrician course. After the 4 year app, you'll have your A Grade and you can then crawl attics to your hearts content.

Trust me. A power company will pay you much better than a smaller sparky. And with the same qualifications.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
If you apply for the Power Technician position, you will go through TAFE doing an Electrician course. After the 4 year app, you'll have your A Grade and you can then crawl attics to your hearts content.

Trust me. A power company will pay you much better than a smaller sparky. And with the same qualifications.

hmm, such as who though? like example of a big company if you dont mind

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
SP Ausnet, Jemena, CitiPower, PowerCor

All these companies pay great apprentice rates.

Im talking like $33,000/year for 1st year, around $38,000/year for 2nd and $47,000 for 3rd.

Income Protection: If you are seriously ill, you will get paid for up to 2 years while you are off work.

Annual leave and sick leave.

Every second Monday off.

Not to mention they pay travel at double time + 75 cents a kilometer.

EBA gives about 3-5% salary increase per year.

Working weekends is all double time + meal allowances.

Most tools supplied. School books and fees all paid.

No forced redundancy. (Either CitiPower or PowerCor doesn't have this though. Can't remember which one. )

If you have any questions i will be happy to help out if I can. :)

Edit: Apprentice intake closes soon. You are crazy if you don't apply.

All of the above is true of SP Ausnet. You'll have to double check that it applies to the rest.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
there are bonuses to learning each part of the trade though.
for example, we did some stuff at trade school and trade school is almost always based around the domestic part of the trade.
the domestic people were just rambling off domestic related items like there is no tomorrow. breaker sizes, cable sizes etc

same with the testing aspects, because they were doing so many "new installs" they were doing testing a fair bit.
where as myself, doing industrial (and a very small bit of commercial), haven't done the testing side as often, so they blitzed through that part.

but as they have said, if it comes to them doing anything major in industrial they would have no idea where to begin.
as there are some ways that you work differently in different sectors.
example is: most of them only know from the LV side of a transformer how it works and have experience only up to say 25mm SDI cable.
they have never seen or used 630s, 500s and had to pull in multiple sets to boards, then had to do some other methods to prevent faults.

I say all that because there is no way I could walk into someone house and know exactly what to do and all the tips and tricks if they wanted new stuff run.
however many people would walk into what I do and have no idea either because they can be at completely different ends of the spectrum.
its all about what you learn and how you use it

go for what you want to do.
but don't be surprised if you do get bored after a while if all you're doing is the same repetitive actions for 4 years.
try and find a company that will have you doing something a bit different every now and then. (some smaller mobs do a lot of various work, but normally on the smaller side of it)
and just remember, once you've passed it all, and have your ticket you can go anywhere with it that you choose.

auzzie_bradd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX ss
Woah that's some good pay.. Hahaha

Yeah i get what you're saying, all depends where you start as to where you finish i guess..