Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical fault?

Dana M A

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden Omega
First post here, hopefully the last.
Few months ago I took the car in for a service, they called me when i was at work and said it wouldn't start. Long story short the ECU was sent down to Melbourne to be repaired. Got the car back and it was working fine. But now, when I go to start my car, it struggles to turn on, and sometimes it pops up with ABS, Check battery, contact dealer. I did look it up on Google and it mentioned that because the battery is in the boot it might not be putting out enough CCA.

Aswell as the car struggling to start, while I drive it sounds like the car is revving like it's struggling to stay on the one speed. Could this all be because of the battery? I did check the indicators but they were green.
Any one have experience with this? Causes?
Solution?

Cheers

Asmodai78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V Sportwagon
When was the last time you replaced the battery? If it’s over 4years then it would be a good idea to replace it

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The battery on the boot is fine.
The car is designed to have it there.

It will be either the battery is needing replacing (not holding charge) or the charging system is not charging the battery correctly.
A good new battery is around $170 for the VE. I use one from a V8 ute in the Calais with (600CCA instead of the 480 or 520CCA).

A new alternator (which charges the battery) will be around $500 new & installed.
A reconditioned alternator is just as good (IMO) and come in around $250 plus labour to install.

You can chance it and replace the battery, or go to a reputable service centre or mechanic who can test the alternator and the battery.

What bothers me is how you went in for a service and came away with that. Sounds like some numb nut sparked the battery cable under the bonnet and damaged the ECU. That's only conjecture though.

The ECU controls the charging system, come to think of it, so maybe a trip back to the same place and get the software uploaded to it checked.
Holden can also do that, but they charge for it.

If the mechanic/technician say it's the battery, ask for evidence and likewise if they say the alternator is faulty, ask for the evidence and how they tested it. Bump us here with their answer and someone will tell you if its BS or not.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
As others have said, time to replace the battery

Failing that, the throttle body may require replacing

The better half’s car (06 VE Omega) did exactly as you’ve described and that’s what was replaced which fixed the issue

Throttle body was around $250 (genuine) from memory