Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical problem!

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Hi guy's, this is regarding my partners 4x4 96 Pajero. Today car running as usual like every other day but then my partner went to turn on the ignition about an hour later and nothing! I checked it out and right as, there is nothing. Its like someone has removed the battery. I have just spent 3 hours checking everything, fuses, relays, earths etc etc and all fine, nothing blown or lose.
Here is the confusing part.... Every 35-45 minutes the car gets some sort of power, so accessories like cig lighter, hazards and only drivers door (central locking) will work and can hear relays clicking away. In saying that only relays are working, there is no lights, dash lights, radio, windows, everything thats in a normal working car. Then after say 5-10 minutes is all dead and nothing will work.
Battery is heavy duty, showing green light and is only 4 months old.
Can you guys please help as this is the only means of transpost my partner has to get to work.

Cheers

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
Have you tried jump starting it? Even know the light shows green on those MF batteries... I've have them stuff up. That being said, check the connections to the battery, as well as the earth to chassis/engine block.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Hi mate. Yep tried jump starting it with no success, not even a single light on the dash. I have checked all earths, all fine. It may have another earth under engine but can't get to it because off the sump guard being in the way. car has no immoboliser or alarm.

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
What about a Fusible Link wire? Some cars have them that look like a short thick wire running directly off the + Battery Terminal.

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Problem fixed. Had to call RACV but it turned out to be the + wire not connecting properly to the terminal and caused the ECU to cut all electronics. I personnal didn't know the ECU did all that, only thought it controlled all engine features....

Thanks v6lux but this car only had a wire going from + terminal too some electronic device for the oxygen correcting thing. Small silver box.

Anyway, it's something to remember. Thanks for your help.

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Glad it's fixed. Once a shiny clamped connection the the batteries is established, it's always good practice use Vaseline to insulate the battery terminals, I mean liberally to prevent corrosion, on most cars!

Ray De Man

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
SII SSV REDLINE M6
Ahh thats what that gunky looking stuff is... Cheers mate will remember that. So will it be good practice to do the same for dry-cell batts too?

v6lux

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 (was VR) V6 Hilux
Ahh thats what that gunky looking stuff is... Cheers mate will remember that. So will it be good practice to do the same for dry-cell batts too?

Yes, in a car, any bare metal wires or terminals carrying electrical current in a harsh environment subject to lots of moving moist air will be subject to electrolysis (corrosion). The bubbling acid and acid fumes from cap breathers on the standard style batteries certainly do not help either!

Even without electricity added, when there is two dissimilar metals touching and moisture is added, electrolysis is like an aggressive cancer.

Good example is a Stainless Steel washer in the bottom of an alloy tinny. It don't take long for the washer to fall through into the water.