Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electrical problems with air compressor

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
I'm having a few problems with my air compressor at my place. The house is about 40 years old and I'm not sure how old the electrics are, but the fuses are the ceramic type with wire.

I have a Peerless P14, 10 AMP compressor which apparently uses up most of the 10 amps. It's a 50kg (or so) heavy belt driven thing which usually works a treat (at any house but this one).

It starts up just fine and fills up with air perfectly, until I start using the rattle gun. After I've used up enough air it begins to restart the refilling process but conks out after a few seconds. It has something called a TEFC switch, which is pushes out and it starts trying to make air again once I press that in.

But it only goes on after the compressor has conked out. After trying to turn this compressor on and off a few times for a bit of air, I'll usually end up blowing a fuse, after which I replace it with 15amp fuse wire.

I'm guessing the problem is that the compressor is drawing more power than it has available, but are there any other explanations or things that can be done?

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
you can go otu and buy from any whole saler or big w type department store a insert for the porcelin ceramic fuse holders, it's made by hpm and removes the fuse wire to a circuit breaker.

by law in australia all power circuits are required to be on a safety switch.
in a domestic situation it should be a 40amp 4 pole rcd being protected by two 20 amp circuit breakers. fuse wire is old and out of date.

that is the sugestion. get the insert for your fuse holder and your in buisness.

as for the compressor cutting in and out. i dare say it's a compressor issue with the pressure switch.