Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

eletric park brake

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
I understand that your circumstances are bad luck, or maybe product failure. However, when I was taught to drive, I was also taught never to put all my trust in the handbrake - mechanical obviously at that time.

I am aware of a small number of similar incidents with mechanical handbrakes that support that training.

I know that it is some times inconvenient, and I acknowledge that I have erred once or twice. But I learned a longtime ago about the benefits of redundancy in safety systems. Thus I would recommend that the best course of action is not to rely on only the handbrake when leaving a car.

Nevertheless, it is not good when a system let's you down.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Also, so far I love the electric handbrake, though I have had to reconsider the way I use it.

I have had my VF for a year, and put about 12,000 km on it, though the last two months it has been in storage while I am in Europe.

As an aside, last year I drove a very late model Corolla (manual) and Peugeot (auto). They were both hopeless in comparison to my Aussie cars on anything other than smooth and level bitumin. This year, jI have had an old Nissan Note (manual) and a brand new Hyundai i35 (auto). I have been surprised that the Note has been vastly better to live with than the Corolla.

The i35 has been pleasant, but the steering has been abismal compared to both the hydraulic system in my MY 12.5 VE, and the electric system in my MY 14 VF.

Looking forward to returning home to good cars in a month as time.

Hothousevys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack
I never normally rely on the park brake either#I generally leave in first gear (manual). It was just bad luck as I had left it idling as I only was gone for a minute.
Hopefully Holden does find a fault for peace of mind as much as anything.

fjwb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 cv8
"Safety re-clamp

If for some reason the electric park brake detects vehicle roll after an initial apply, this safety backup feature comes into play. It does so by re-clamping the park brake to its maximum apply force. Even after the driver has vacated the driver’s seat, it will act to increase the park brake force if a drop off in cable tension is detected."

Maybe you just forgot to apply it?

Hothousevys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack
interesting any feed back from Holden yet

Took the car into Holden Friday they found that the park brake was full of gravel and dust. Car has prob done 10000 km of gravel driving. This wouldn't allow the brake to apply full pressure. Cleaned out and readjusted cable. Now to see if it solves the problem.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Took the car into Holden Friday they found that the park brake was full of gravel and dust. Car has prob done 10000 km of gravel driving. This wouldn't allow the brake to apply full pressure. Cleaned out and readjusted cable. Now to see if it solves the problem.

How can they readjust the cable.....it is electronic????.....park brake full of gravel and dust...I do not believe that.

Here are the good tips....if it is AUTO always leave the car in Park and turn the motor off whether it is on the flat or on a hill and do not leave it in neutral....if it is Manual turn the motor off and if on the flat leave in 1st gear....if facing downhill leave the gear in reverse....if facing uphill leave the gear in 1st...and never leave in neutral under any circumstances unless on the flat and the brake firmly applied and you are checking something on the motor whilst ticking over.

Above is the first thing you do before applying any brakes whether it be electronic on manual operation....what do they teach you these days on obtaining your Driver's Licence??????

Hothousevys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack
How can they readjust the cable.....it is electronic????.....park brake full of gravel and dust...I do not believe that.

Here are the good tips....if it is AUTO always leave the car in Park and turn the motor off whether it is on the flat or on a hill and do not leave it in neutral....if it is Manual turn the motor off and if on the flat leave in 1st gear....if facing downhill leave the gear in reverse....if facing uphill leave the gear in 1st...and never leave in neutral under any circumstances unless on the flat and the brake firmly applied and you are checking something on the motor whilst ticking over.

Above is the first thing you do before applying any brakes whether it be electronic on manual operation....what do they teach you these days on obtaining your Driver's Licence??????

sry typo just habit they did not say cable they just said adjusted the park brake. I agree that turn it off and put it in gear. Just a pain that the one time I didn't it all goes a over t.

Hothousevys

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s pack

Dry didn't mean to write cable was just habit.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Dry didn't mean to write cable was just habit.

All is forgiven....not having a go at you....but there a lot of comments where the poster is very vague...and are not specific with their comments.....:hmmm: