Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ELM 327 OBD II bought on ebay - not working. Anyone have one of these?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Even if your serial cable has a usb plug on it, you still need to do the config manually.

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
The software supplied with it says that the laptop is talking to the interface connector OK. The problem appears to be between the interface box and the car computer. The EasyOBD software reports " PC Communication Port OK" (ie laptop is talking to interface), and "Interface Communication Failure - Check Connections and Power" (ie interface is not talking to car).

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Are you selecting a protocol or is that automatic?

There are quite a few different ones. My sisters sv6 connects with 'CAN 29/500'. Not sure if ISO, KWP or any of the others work.

Try and switch protocol to can if possible.

vn4250

vedelta
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega & VP Exec
I have the exact same device. Set a lower baud rate like 9600 and should be fine. OBDII is standard in all modern cars due to emission controls so your device would have no problems picking up data from your VE. You can pickup extra data by modifying the device to handle GM specific CANBUS data which I've also done.

The 10th Doctor

ambitious but rubbish
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 VE SS-V
I have the exact same device. Set a lower baud rate like 9600 and should be fine. OBDII is standard in all modern cars due to emission controls so your device would have no problems picking up data from your VE. You can pickup extra data by modifying the device to handle GM specific CANBUS data which I've also done.

What extra data do you get? How exactly do you do such a thing?

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Ive got a feeling 9600 is the maximum a serial cable is designed to carry in reality.

The higher speeds available in port settings are for virtual ports.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I have had both this unit and the bluetooth unit in my car PC setup, they are incredible for the price point. But I'm using a mac with the MOVI program so i can't be any real help. But by the sounds of things you have set up the driver correctly i would try a different computer and see how you get on. If you can't get it to work you may as well try the bluetooth unit for $25. But be aware if you leave it (the bluetooth unit) plugged in to the OBD2 port it will slowly drain your battery when the car of off. The solution i worked out for this was to rewire pin 16 to accessory power. Anyway good luck mate :)

svill123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina S1 V6
hi guys. Ive got a VT S1 Berlina with an airbag fault - "31 - Drivers Airbag Open Circuit (Capacitance Too low). This was read from my mates scanner tool. I plan on changing the clock spring to fix the problem, but understand that even once i do i need to have the code reset. My friend no longer has the scan tool so i want to buy a cheap one off ebay to do the jobs. If anyone has any suggestions please help. Also im a computer programmer and love this kinda stuff and would probably buy one even if i didnt have the code to clear lol

stevenroar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Omega / Look-a-like SSV
Hey hey, anyone know where I can find the obd port in my 06 ve omega?
*noob*
Also, anyone have the Bluetooth version and using it with an iPhone?

Cheers

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Under the steering column near the door, it will not work with an iPhone unless you jailbreak it.