Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine codes 32, 46/49.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I believe it's now time to change the CAS.

All your symptoms are exactly what I had.. It kept dying roughly 10mins into the drive, I could restart it after approx 30sec even whilst still rolling along.

It's a pain to do initially but once done you'll fell a hellava lot more comfortable when it happens again.

Daniel.IRL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT SII V6 commodore
I believe it's now time to change the CAS.

All your symptoms are exactly what I had.. It kept dying roughly 10mins into the drive, I could restart it after approx 30sec even whilst still rolling along.

It's a pain to do initially but once done you'll fell a hellava lot more comfortable when it happens again.

yeah I’m thinking the same thing, sometimes it starts after 30 seconds or so, sometimes it just cranks and cranks.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
After all these years, can't believe you fogot the basics... (Just joking here).
When it dies (second, permanent time) pour some cold water around the CAS area. Car will start - you may then drive home.
It happened to me a few years ago. I was cruising along at about 100 k's. Turned off on an exit. Stopped at some lights - car died first time ever. Engine light on. Restarted ok. Next time it was a few days later. Codes indicated CAS. Next time it happend I had stopped at the shops. Tried to start it about 5 mins later - no go. I remembered the cold water trick. worked. I was able to drive home, check codes and fit a new CAS.
My advice - buy a genuine one. Save a LOT of head scratching. Those Ripco/Ebay copies can get some wierd and seemingly unrelated faults. I know...
Bought an ebay one first. It worked ok, but a short while later I was giving the car a bootful and it died at about 4500 revs. Then as revs came back down it worked. This was intermittent. So I went to Ripco and bought a new one - when I opened the box, it was the same brand as the ebay one.
That one started ok but the engine wouldn't run (X18 pulses missing). So I went to HOLDEN and bought one. All done. Fixed.

Daniel.IRL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT SII V6 commodore
I tried the water trick and it didn’t work, more then once.

But update, did get a new CAS from Holden, and it fixed the issue, 3 hours of driving and the car never missed a beat!

Appreciate the advice of everyone!

Daniel.IRL

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT SII V6 commodore
That's great news.
And thanks for letting us know.
It's good because not only lets us know to stop wracking our brains, but in future anyone searching this forum will benefit.

I feel like I would have a better chance at letting people know, I had issues with the balancer but got there in the end with no damage, it’s a lot of work for such a simple thing but it fixed my issue so I feel more comfortable knowing people might need/find this information useful and happy to allow anyone to know my issue was solved by changing it

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Yeah, the balancer can be a bit hard to get off. I bough a puller and made a tool to hold the balancer so I could tighten the bolt.
Then I had to do it a few times (see earlier), so it gets easier each time.

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
After all these years, can't believe you fogot the basics... (Just joking here).
When it dies (second, permanent time) pour some cold water around the CAS area. Car will start - you may then drive home.
It happened to me a few years ago. I was cruising along at about 100 k's. Turned off on an exit. Stopped at some lights - car died first time ever. Engine light on. Restarted ok. Next time it was a few days later. Codes indicated CAS. Next time it happend I had stopped at the shops. Tried to start it about 5 mins later - no go. I remembered the cold water trick. worked. I was able to drive home, check codes and fit a new CAS.
My advice - buy a genuine one. Save a LOT of head scratching. Those Ripco/Ebay copies can get some wierd and seemingly unrelated faults. I know...
Bought an ebay one first. It worked ok, but a short while later I was giving the car a bootful and it died at about 4500 revs. Then as revs came back down it worked. This was intermittent. So I went to Ripco and bought a new one - when I opened the box, it was the same brand as the ebay one.
That one started ok but the engine wouldn't run (X18 pulses missing). So I went to HOLDEN and bought one. All done. Fixed.

What ?? you mean genuine parts, fancy that.:rolleyes:

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Yeah. Had to skulk into a FORD spare parts division to get it though!