Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Cutting Out

David_Wright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SPac Ute V6
So engine has had trouble starting recently. Replaced DFI module and CAS which has fixed the starting issue but now it will spontaneously cut out while idling. Haven't tried to drive it because I don't want it to cut out in the middle of a road but when it's idling the engine will nearly stall, the engine light will flash and then it will rev back up and the light will go out. This sometimes goes on for a while but it always ends in the engine stopping completely. Anybody got any ideas??

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Go over and check closely the wiring loom connections at the base of the DFI module. Check the female side for any that look even slightly different to the rest and adjust them with a needle like probe to tighten them up.
Also check the connection to the CAS. Could be what was causing the problem in the first place.

David_Wright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SPac Ute V6
Have tried to read the error codes in the past and my car won't flash codes when you bridge the pins on the OBD connector. Will try it again in the morning to see if it's still like that.

David_Wright

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SPac Ute V6
has it got petrol and oil? how does it run before it cuts out?

It's got plenty of petrol and oil and it runs fine before it cuts out. It will rev up after it nearly stals and then drop back to Idle for a bit but it idles at normal revs and runs normal.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Have seen similar symptoms on a few ecotecs as well as my old vs ute. Intermittently running rough and cutting out. Turned out to be the cam angle sensor. Can't promise it will fix it, but these seem to get overlooked quite a bit and the poor old crank angle sensor gets the blame.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
check for vac leaks too. my mates vs ute had a vac tube loose, made the engine run crappy....

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Have seen similar symptoms on a few ecotecs as well as my old vs ute. Intermittently running rough and cutting out. Turned out to be the cam angle sensor. Can't promise it will fix it, but these seem to get overlooked quite a bit and the poor old crank angle sensor gets the blame.

OP already stated he has replaced the Crank Angle Sensor (CAS).