Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine knock on VY Berlina

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Hi guys need some advice please.

I bought a VY Berlina privately 2000kms ago and it's since developed a bottom end knock.
I've taken it to a workshop and they've had a look at the oil and found a lot of metal in it.

My options would be reconditioning the engine or sourcing another ecotec and just dropping it in.

The cars done 217kkm and is otherwise really tidy, i really am surprised this has happened.

Any tips on sourcing a used engine? It's going to be another gamble as far as i can tell.

Thanks
Seb

Boothy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Wagon, VY Commodore
If your anywhere near Dandenong there is a place named prowreck. They supply and fit engines from around $1200. from $650 just for the engine and fitting from $450. All tested and all have between 140,000 and 170,000kms..Obviously the lower km engines are more expensive. i do beleive however that its on exchange basis.

Boothy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Wagon, VY Commodore
Or you can pick up brand new engine between $3,000 to $4,500 off ebay. Or ii reckon at a guess you could get yours reconditioned for around the 2 grand mark id reckon

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Any ecotec from VS onwards will fit, a few months back I fitted a low K's VS ecotec to a VY wagon I picked up cheap with a blown up engine, (diesel oil was accidently used in the old engine, it was running perfectly until the wrong oil was used in it). .