Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Light flashing / ESP off / Miss firing / Rough Idle

Fahad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
So, started my SS this morning and straight away found that estability control off followed with the engine light on, a few seconds later the engine light started flashing with the engine running very rough. I switched it off and started again same thing. Drove to work with the engine light flashing by the time i reached work the engine light went away with roughness gone too, however, the ESP off stayed illuminated even though i tried turning it on/off did not work.

To reset the system i unplugged the battery and started the car again at work and things were fine, now I am a bit worried why the light was flashing and disappeared would I have caused any harm to the motor with flashing engine light???

Any suggestions or solutions will be really appreciated guys...

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
3 options.
Go to mechanic to have code read
Go to friend with obd scanner to have code read
Buy obd scanner off ebay and read code.
If you have a mechanic you trust take it there.
What postcode?

Fahad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
Thanks for coming back Cewing, kinda like this Commodore brotherhood.

Just ordered my OBD2 today, hopefully it will arive by Tuesday, however, will take it to my mechanic tomorrow morning to get scanned.

I am just a bit concerned if the miss firing or the flashing engine light might come back again on the way to the mechanic.

Post code 2144

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
My car is off the road due to a similar issue, I believe injectors are my fault. I think supercheap or someone like that read codes cheap

Fahad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
Started this morning, no issues at all.

However, I will get it checked today and update codes.

Thanks Cewing.

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Hey mate, i had the same issue last week. It ended up being a dud fuel injector, got the mechanic to replace the injectors and all sweet from there.

Fahad

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS
Ok, so got the car checked up with the OBD2 and no codes found, however, the O2 sensor were found off, other than that every things fine. Battery voltages fluctuating around 14.5 - 14.7. I reckon it was bad fuel as i finished the old fuel and topped it with BP 85 octane she is smooth as silk now...

Might change the O2 sensors, thanks guys for sharing thoughts and ideas, appreciated...

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
do you have an otr and tune, seems a lot of fuel issues lately, especially with this new dirt buster additives they are putting in, big thread on here about it,